New pede

lindell687

Arachnopeon
Just bought a vietnamese giant about 7 inches long yesterday. Went to give him a mouse this afternoon didn't seem interested in it at first till the mosue came running over to him. Immedieatly he bit the mouse killed him and then just burrowed again. Can i freeze the mouse and give it to him in a couple days after i thaw it out? or will the venom have contaminated the mouse?

Okitasoshi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you're going to freeze it, the sooner the better, the venom won't "contaminate" it, if it did the centipede wouldn't even eat it fresh. however if you leave it out long enough it'll rot...and I consider rotting carcasses pretty contaminated.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have no idea why you would want to feed it a mouse anyway.
it will do fine on crickets and or roaches. and no bloody mess to clean up. not to mention the roaches and crix are much cheaper

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think he was overly excited to get a pede this size and wanted to feed it a mouse right away...probably why he got it is what im guessing:wall: watching to much you-tube lol....i hope im wrong though......

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
good heavens, the moral police are out in force today!

a big mouse is going to make a pretty good mess for you to clean up. if you want to try to feed the mouse off still i would suggest moving the centipede to a seperate container with just paper towels for substrate and let it eat the mouse in there. that way you can just move the pede back into the container it normally lives in after it is done and not waste a ton of substrate

as for whether the pede needs it or not.... it seems like a lot of the euro dudes that give their pedes meat and FT pinkies seem to have babies coming out their orifices. i feed pinkies to pedes very rarely, but it does seem to help mothers put on a lot of weight quickly and there are for sure some species (not in centipede world but in bug world) that have positive correlation between the amount of protein they consume and the number of viable babies they produce. i just recently had a S. subspinipes mutilans mother on eggs get swarmed by argentine ants. i lost all ~70 or so eggs she was on... and you can bet for DAMN sure i fed her a pinky as soon as i could to regain the protein she lost from the egg debacle