new pede (Scolopendra hardwickei )

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
PS> Don't tell me you believed in Alien? Perhaps! Illegal Alien..
Sorry, i only believe in legal Aliens and hybrids between unicorns and lobsters. And i also believe Steven's pede is not painted with a marker. You have to agree, that's a quite silly idea.

phil.

R.HENNING

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Take a close look at the body plates, and the colored ( black ) legs !!!

I say marker !!!

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well i have a centipede picture gallery in my computer of my favorite centipede species ( of which Sc.hardwickei is one ) and all the other sc.hardwickeis pics that i ever saw online looked pretty much like that one.

The only difference must be in locales because i have some pics showing specimens with a black head, some with orange heads, some with black terminals, some with orange terminals and some with only partly black terminals. Some have half/half last legs too, so it seems like it is somewhat polymorphic, just like so many other centipede species.

I really dont believe ANY serious member of this forum would paint his centipede.

phil.

R.HENNING

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think it's a question of a collector.
But rather a dealer !!!

Take a real close look at photo no.2 black body plates.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haaa! that's what I think is so impressive about this species, people just can't believe it.

It's my crappy dialup service Steven, I can finally see the pics. That is awesome.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW that was the most noobish thing i have heard yet, a marker?! That was just STUPID, enough said. Beautiful pede. I'm curious where u got it though?

R.HENNING

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can tell you are noobish i have seen people take hair dye and other color
altering stuff to pass cites, what are you talking about (16yrs. old hay)

hazardy

Arachnopeon
Alright! Let's stop for a moment and re-examine the photos. Hmmm, Ive checked and double checked again .. and again something is telling me that the photo's are fake.. Common people don't be a fool!!! This is not all about jealousy/ this is all about what I see in the photos!! Best view in CRT Monitor.. I know its stupid ! but people believed in it. SO.. its all up 2 you..

Peace!

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can tell you are noobish i have seen people take hair dye and other color
altering stuff to pass cites, what are you talking about (16yrs. old hay)

What are you guys talking about, I mean the guy who got it is legitimate, he runs an entire website devoted to the centipede hobby, its really unlikely that he of all people would do that. You are correct in saying that people will do bizare things to alter the appearance of an animal. I bet you guys first saw P. metallica you thought it was a fake because it was so blue. Not all things in nature that are beautiful are like you think. Go to google and type in the scientific name of the centipede and you will see that they match perfectly. I think you are both jealous, the fact that he has one of the rarest pede on the market just gets to you and you think that it must be a fake since 1. its so rare. and 2. you in all your ignorance don't know a thing about it. You would think that with (50 years "hay") you would be a little more mature.:) Just for the record I wasn't insulting you initially.

5deadlyvenoms

Arachnopeon
I'm no centipede expert but the banding and colouration of this animal is abnormal. The black and orange / brown banding is not totally symmetrical. After the first three black bands there is two o/b tergites, but it should be only one o/b band. And if you look carefully at a black tergite on photo two, the black colour doesn't extend totally forward to cover the entire tergite AND there is alittle bleed over of the black onto the following orange band.
At first I thought this was an amazing pede but it does looks fishy, the banding symmetry is inconsistent!

Last edited:

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is certainly for real! But, I'm no expert. Heck, I see them and I run... But, OH BOY IS IT BEAUTIFUL!!! Congratulations dude!

That is my favorite color-morph of the species so far. I love the terminal legs. :)

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok -- enough of the argument about whether it's a hoax or not. For those of us who've been on the boards for a while, we know Steven is trustworthy and really has his stuff together (anyone here checked out his website lately?). Saying that someone Sharpied a scolopendra centipede is ridiculous and insulting to the hobby.

Steven -- I'm insanely jealous of your beautiful specimen. :drool: I can only hope that it's a gravid female.

I'm no centipede expert but the banding and colouration of this animal is abnormal.
If you're not an expert, how do you know it's abnormal? Not every species out there looks "normal" to the average human eye. I sure as hell think that horned baboon tarantulas look abnormal, but that doesn't mean I think they're a hoax.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The black banding skipping that tergite is typical of the species. The color bleeding over is common with pedes too. Ha, Steven wouldn't make a joke out of this. This is great! Man, Steven is watching this and going, "hahahahahahaha..." But I understand some people that haven't seen the species looking at it ang going "..no way!"

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Oh, for God's sake people... do a simple search on "Scolopendra hardwickei" or "Scolopendra hardwicki" on here or Google and you can see many pics of the exact same type. But no, why would we want to do that before going off all half-cocked when that's so much more fun... :rolleyes:

hazardy, R. HENNING, welcome to the hobby, but please, know who you're speaking to and about before you go off like this... Steven's been a contributing member here for years, and is likely our most knowledgeable centipede resource... these are definitely a "Real species", and this is definitely its "real color". I've attached a pic of one of my old S. heros "arizonensis" (banded form) so you can see that symmetry and "splotchiness" don't count for much. Hope it helps you.

Steven, I am INSANELY jealous! Congratulations on your new acquisition! I have been waiting for these to pop up on someone list for years now... did you import yourself or find a contact? No details necessary, just curious...

Last edited:

hazardy

Arachnopeon
Oh, for God's sake people... do a simple search on "Scolopendra hardwickei" or "Scolopendra hardwicki" on here or Google and you can see many pics of the exact same type. But no, why would we want to do that before going off all half-cocked when that's so much more fun... :rolleyes:

hazardy, R. HENNING, welcome to the hobby, but please, know who you're speaking to and about before you go off like this... Steven's been a contributing member here for years, and is likely our most knowledgeable centipede resource... these are definitely a "Real species", and this is definitely its "real color". I've attached a pic of one of my old S. heros "arizonensis" (banded form) so you can see that symmetry and "splotchiness" don't count for much. Hope it helps you.

Steven, I am INSANELY jealous! Congratulations on your new acquisition! I have been waiting for these to pop up on someone list for years now... did you import yourself or find a contact? No details necessary, just curious...

Mr Internet!! ...." do a simple search on "Scolopendra hardwickei" or "Scolopendra hardwicki" on here or Google and you can see many pics of the exact same type " Im a little bit confused Sir! You show me a link where you can get same exact pictures then Ill go away!! Perhaps you owned your private search engine that I can use that will be nice {D

PS> I'm not doubting Steve knowledge when its comes to Pedes! All am saying is that Im not convince on what Im seeing!!

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
thanx all,

i can understand the unbelief,
but i would say that really is a great compliment to this specie :)

it's like Galapoheros said:
This is great! Man, Steven is watching this and going, "hahahahahahaha..."
{D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D yep correct :razz:

@ hazardy:
check this topic ;)
the discussion about the banding was allready done some years ago:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=14127&highlight=hardwicki
and otherwise you're always welcome to my place if you ever visit Belgium,
to see it for yourself.

Jürgen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats very great!!!!

awsome species.You are a very lucky guy!!!

Hope you have more of them and will breed them!!!

Congrats!

Best regards
Jürgen

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thulsi-Rao, K.; Yadav, B. E.; Sudhakar, M.; Maqsood-Javed, S. M.; Siva-Rama-Krishna, I. (2005): A note on the tiger centipede Scolopendra hardwickei Newport from Nagarjuna Sagar Srisailam Tiger Reserve, Andhra Pradesh, India. - Bugs 'R' All 8 (1): 6.

this might be helpfull to non-believers