new pede (Scolopendra hardwickei )

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Steven,

Sorry for your loss! :( I can`t wait to see the other colormorphs. ;)
Do you have any habitat pictures/info?

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Damn you all for killing me! :D

Those are beauties. Now how poisonous are these? I need to know for the future because when I move out when I'm 18 I'm getting these.

I don't care how rare they are, I won't rest until I find one.

Black Widow88

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Damn you all for killing me! :D

Those are beauties. Now how poisonous are these? I need to know for the future because when I move out when I'm 18 I'm getting these.

I don't care how rare they are, I won't rest until I find one.

Black Widow88
Well there isnt a pede out there that is deadly unless you are allergic to it. I think there are one or 2 reported deaths but they were probably after effects or allergic reactions. And like I was told, good luck. Check out the pede in the link I provided that looks somewhat like it. PM me if you are interested in one.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good to know!

And yes I'm interested but my mother would kill me if she found one on her doorstep....that's why my 18th b-day is something I'm looking forward too but I don't wanna rush it ya know?

I wanna LIVE in freedom before responsibility comes my way. Hopefully I'll get lucky by the time I'm 18. I wonder if there's a way you can find out if you're allergic to centipede bites without getting bitten?

I heard you can do that with bee stings so I was wondering if you could do that with the 'pedes.

Black Widow88

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well you shouldnt have to worry about getting bit if you know how to properly keep them. These are not beginner pede's really.. Id suggest a S. Polymorpha or S.hero's cast. And im not to sure if you can be tested.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Id suggest a S. Polymorpha or S.hero's cast. And im not to sure if you can be tested.
Hey,

I heard Sc. heros have a nasty poison compared to most of the other pedes (except Sc. subspinipes of course...).
I just wondered if someone got bitten by heros and can tell something about it.

Regards
Turgut

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been biten by a 6'' S.Heros Castaneceips. On a level of 1-10 I would give it a 7 for pain. I have been biten by Subspinipes also so I know what 10 feels like on that chart. But they are not very likely to bite. I push mine to the limits and then get bit, but I think its fun testing them. You would be suprised how hard it really is to get bit by some pedes.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Did anyone else notice that the last relevant post in this thread is almost a year old? :?

BW88, you'd have an easier time adding a Leprechaun to your collection than the species in question.

As far as venom goes, with most types more exposures = more sensitivity. I'm not aware of any recorded instances of allergic reactions to centipede venom (although it's quite common among bee and wasp victims). Of the two centipede-related deaths I'm aware of, one was a little girl bit on the face in Vietnam, and the other was clearly due to the bite becoming infected.

Oh, and no centipedes are poisonous that I'm aware of (thought many millipedes are) -- however, most if not all species are venomous. ;)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Did anyone else notice that the last relevant post in this thread is almost a year old? :?
yeah I did :p

to give a little update,
i thought this was the biggest hardwickei i've seen but the last year i got 2 more specimen which were bigger, 21cm and 23 cm BL
the 21cm BL ones you can see here:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=130255&highlight=hardwickei

when i have some time i'll post pix of the biggest one :)

about their bites, well haven't tested it yet, cause i think it can be quite a bad experience, judging on their colors.

HorridumAngeli

Arachnopeon
we will see

I am going to import some of these soon so I guess we will see first hand how they look!!!!
Steve