new pede (Scolopendra hardwickei )

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh you mean like this Scolopendra heros arizonensias? ;)
I remember that bug. They told us the purpose of the adaptation is that a predator can't determine which is the head.
Any idea where to get them other than wild?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I remember that bug. They told us the purpose of the adaptation is that a predator can't determine which is the head.
Any idea where to get them other than wild?

I've been looking for some myself. There's a few sites which sell them for $80, but I can't remember who they are.

I'm working on getting a breeding group (fingers crossed), but that looks to be a very slow process right now.

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
got a new addition to my scolopendra-collection, :cool:
simply amazing specie tmo!!!
BIG CONGRATULATIONS Steven! It's gorgeous! :drool: :drool: :drool:
As it's been mentioned on this thread, you've contributed so much to this community, I think you receiving a sc. hardwickei is payback for all the good karma. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just one question and one request...
From previous threads and photos, I got the impression that it was more of a tropical species. But judging from your substrate, is this wrong? Is it in fact more of an arid species?

And my request – is there any way you could post a video of it for us? :D
The only reason I ask is because most of us haven't had the luck to see one moving around, just still photos! Not doing anything special, just the usual scolopendra business would be GREATLY appreciated!

Again, sincerest congratulations! :worship:
And all the best!

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been looking for some myself. There's a few sites which sell them for $80, but I can't remember who they are.

I'm working on getting a breeding group (fingers crossed), but that looks to be a very slow process right now.
Please let me know if that works out. Thats one of the centipedes that I would like to get. I might go try to wild collect one day

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Steven

stunning pede
as for your collection it never stops amazin me

john

Ralph

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice pedes you made!!!well done

see from the 2nd pix of your new production....the blue ring is a little out of the range.....modify it soon!!it would be nicer!!LOL
congrats!

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not that hard to paint if you use co2 first, thanks for the tip guys:worship:
I think it worked out quite well, I wonder how long it will last.

Scolopendra morsitans:cool:

:rolleyes:
Hey Sadistik, please keep us updated on how your painted centipede does... I wonder if it'll have any ill effects on it...

The new debate today : To paint, or not to paint your centipede...

I'm personnally not planning on ever trying, i love my centipedes all plain and mean and wild :).

phil.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Giving apart the pinted Ethmostigmus...:wall:

For me, apart of the irregular coloration of the tergites of S. hardwickei, the ting that had surprised to me more is the pleura coloration. The pleura is also pinted in this pede following the marks of the terguites! I think ( maybe it is not correct) this pede is the only sp. that have bicolor pleura!:)

But what happend with sternites? Are all they regular in coloration or follow the tergites and sternites coloration?

In other hand, I didn't know this pede comes from desertic region, I thought S. hardwickei comes from of the same forest than Poecilotheria genus... ( Nevermore you'll go to bed, without learn another thing more:rolleyes: )

And what to say about of the terminal legs. It rocks!

Can ya tell the special marks of this sp. apart of the coloration? spines etc?

Another think that is couriuos is that I never see two hardwikcei whit the same coloration....

Cheers
Carles

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Steven I hate You !!!
You're thy most lucky guy in the world!!! :)
If You won't breed this specie I'm going to get to Belgium and kick Your ass;)
It's the most amazing specie I've ever seen, good luck with it:)
And please more photos, more photos! :))

Best regards
Greg

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
got a new addition to my scolopendra-collection, :cool:
simply amazing specie tmo!!!

some pictures :D

Man, Stephen have you ever gone under the alias of Keyser Soze or something? J/J

That is the most beautiful pede I have ever seen and can forsee this thing as an extra in the next Timothy Burton film no joking.

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow, thats an amazing animal. congratulations Steven.hope you and your pedes are doing great.

Hello to everyone else, its been a hell of a long time since being on here.{D

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sorry for posting so late
But a few questions...
A) what is this pede?
B) where is it from?
C) why is it so rare?

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for posting so late
But a few questions...
A) what is this pede?
B) where is it from?
C) why is it so rare?
Hi,

A) The name is in the name of the thread...Scolopendra hardwickei ;)
B) India.... try searching by useing the name of the scolo, and you will find plenty of infos.
C) Search again and you will find the answer ..maybe in this thread:)

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Seems in all that time you told me to search, you could've just told me! But search away I will! (And I only noticed the name of the sp. in the thread after I posted haha sorry)

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very nice Centipede, Ive noticed quite a few South Indian inverts show up for sale recently, so hopefully more of these will be available.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Wow, thats an amazing animal. congratulations Steven.hope you and your pedes are doing great.
Hello to everyone else, its been a hell of a long time since being on here.{D
Hey Wayne, been a very long time indeed,
all going well around here, hope the same for you :) .

@Phil and others ;)
just some pictures of hardwickei again and a small update,
been able to get a Black-headed hardwickei but it arrived dead :( :( ,
it had decided to molt during the trip. :wall:

Also been mailing about the black and red headed colorform with Indian myriapodologist. It seems both colorforms occur in the same area, the black headed i was send, came from the same town as the red head, maybe a case of external sexual dimorphisme ??? But you can never trust on colors with centipedes :rolleyes: anyway hope to get a black headed alive here to try some mating attemps.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice pics, as always, but i'd like to ask you, what's the substrate? On the first pics it looks like earth and on the last one it looks like a mix of clay, sand and stones... I have to say i find the black tip of the terminals very sexy, like some sexy stockings, that has to be a female :p.

phil.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not to wake the debate again, but MAN DOES THAT LOOK LIKE A CLUMSY PAINTJOB! :eek:

Lovely pede anyways, and yeah the substrate looks really cool.