new pede (Scolopendra hardwickei )

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i colored my wife with a green marker this evening.

i loved the pics..wished i had one of those guys!

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that if you apologized and recanted your statements then everyone would get off of your case. The markings do almost look to good to be true but in this case well you don't have a case so just accept your defeat and move on.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that if you apologized and recanted your statements then everyone would get off of your case. The markings do almost look to good to be true but in this case well you don't have a case so just accept your defeat and move on.
Oh, even more than that.

I mean, let's use some common sense. Would a centipede even survive if you colored it?

How are the colors on this any more hard to believe than those of cormocephalus species, any of the scolopendra heros subspecies or the malasian jewel?

There are many other centipedes with colors just as vivid as this one and nobody doubts their existance.

It's just someone being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

To the OP:

Do you have a breeding project in the works?

You better ;)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i'm not going to read all of this...but did someone insinuate/accuse Steven of coloring a centipede? If so...that is just purely retarded :rolleyes: Seriously...use your head before you post idiotic comments such as that, especially if there is any inkling that you truly think he would do such a thing. :wall:

edit:

For everyones info been in the hobby for 30yrs.+
I've seen people who have been long time members of other hobbies who still didn't know their butt from a hole in the ground...so what is your point? :? Do your homework before opening your mouth...30+ years and I bet Steven could still run circles around your supposed "expertise" on 'pedes ;) (already seems to be proven actually...)

oh heck...one more edit for fun :) R. HENNING...here's another pic of such a pede that a current member has for their avatar pic:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/member.php?u=5392

I hope you don't have athlete's foot since your foot has to be in your mouth by now....it is one thing to say, "gee, I've never seen such a 'pede. Does anyone have any evidence of it being a real species" and another to say, "FAKE! OMG FAKE! LIKE...DUDE MUST HAVE COLORED IT WITH A MARKER! L33T FAX0RZ!!!111!!11!!!" :D

Last edited:

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
EDIT: Yes TWO people did which is the funny part and one has been keeping pedes for 30+ years thats even more funny.

I think its time for more pics thats what I think. I am amazed at this pede its so beautiful. I think the common name should be the halloween pede just for its colors.

icefish

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
unbeliveable, it looks like a toy, amazing animal!!!
btw, where is it from?
thanks!!

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
alright guys, we can cool it. We want them to stay and learn, not get chased off... I think we made our point...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I took the 30+ year comment that was thrown out as referring to experience with inverts in general, and not a concentration on centipedes. Possibly taken a little out of context in the heat of the moment in defense(?), left for interpretation ...whatever, no big deal. Hope y'all stick around, this was just another thread that was kind of funny. Rock on!

Ed: ha, looks like we were in the same state of mind.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright I'm done I just get defensive and then don't stop. I am sorry R. henning for insulting so much I am sure you are very competent with centipedes and T's. I am sorry and done with this thread.:)

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, you've been around for barely two months and have been keeping pedes for about a month... Steven has been registered here for 4.5 years, and has kept dozens, if not hundreds, of specimens in that time. All I'm saying is take 5 seconds and realize the source of the info in question. If someone has been registered for 3 weeks and they post photos of a lime green pede with blue stripes, then the source might be considered dubious... in this case, considering the source should have alleviated any questions.

Since when judging people by how long they have been registered here?
I have no problem taking peoples doubts, i respect those who are members of flatearth.org.

and We have to have the courage to doubt everything....

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
allright,
i'll try to answer the questions about Sc.hardwickei since talking and sharing opions about this specie was the initial intention of this topic :rolleyes: , not to show off or start debates like this.

now it's hard for me to find the pede-related questions and answer them properly in this 5 page mess :razz: but i'll give it a try:

but first to clear things up:
i got apologies trough e-mail and Pm, which i wasn't waiting for since i never felt insulted in the first place, i respect everyones opinion and like i said in a previous reply, these doubts really are a great compliment to this specie, YES, sc.hardwickei has "incredible/awsome/unreal/..." colors and markings !

You must be the second person in teh entire world to own one??!! That is the most beautiful pede there is. I don't even want to know how much it cost.:clap: :clap:
dunno, i think more people have this specie, only they don't post much on public forums, and i got it for free as a fact :rolleyes:
how large does this species get? is the care relatively easy?
i don't believe they can get larger then 20cm, my specimen is aprox 17cm orso. and i won't consider them an easy to take care specie.
they share the same mean attitude as subspinipes as far as i have experienced by now.
I can only hope that it's a gravid female.
i also hope so, but i think is more likely a male, i'll explain in time.
Hope you have more of them and will breed them!!!
maybe later this year or next year when i have more specimen. ;)
I noticed that all the S. hardwickei have 2 near segments with the same color, on your pede both are orange.
On another pic the pede has 2 near black segments instead.
Do you know why? what makes the color vary? Location, sex etc..?
Hey Jonathan, i also wondered why, and at this point i don' t have an answer, my next goal is getting hardwickei from different areas of Southern India, and see if there's a line in the colorvariations, i've asked my contacts about the different colorforms but haven't got an answer yet.
Hi Steven,
It's been a while since i come by here, and the first thread i read is this! Nice one, that's the holy grail of pedes. :clap:
I take it you just got the one?
Yow Dan, indeed long time not hearing from you,
great to see a topic as this brings back the old centipede-freaks together :D
There are many other centipedes with colors just as vivid as this one and nobody doubts their existance.
yep totally agree, just a simple example are the Sc.heros with only the last segments and head colored black,... what's up with that ? :razz: ;)

Cheers,
Steven

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
now i want to go get some food paint and do up a S. polymorpha in purple and blue

and i bet *i* COULD hold it down and paint it. hehehe

steven... do you tink the coloring could by sexually er, dichromatic (dimorphic, but dichromatic is more accurate, heh)

all my male Egyptian Emeralds have reddish legs, and no female does. and i think i have only seen male tanzanian tigers that have black heads.

i readily grant that my sample size is laughably small and i'm mostly just guessing

Sadistik

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not that hard to paint if you use co2 first, thanks for the tip guys:worship:
I think it worked out quite well, I wonder how long it will last.

Scolopendra morsitans:cool:

:rolleyes:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
That's just sooooooo wrong Matthijs :embarrassed: ,
using your red nailpolish when you could have done it better in Photohop :p

ow yeah just a tip, only start at 1 end, don't start painting at both ends cause you'll end up like me, with 2 segments of the same color in the middle :D ;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ow yeah just a tip, only start at 1 end, don't start painting at both ends cause you'll end up like me, with 2 segments of the same color in the middle :D ;)
ahahahhaha!

that's awesome. i did think you messed up there =P

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not that hard to paint if you use co2 first, thanks for the tip guys:worship:
I think it worked out quite well, I wonder how long it will last.

Scolopendra morsitans:cool:

:rolleyes:
:drool: mmm scolopendra rainbowmidibus{D only 1 in the world! EXTREMELY RARE!!:p

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yep totally agree, just a simple example are the Sc.heros with only the last segments and head colored black,... what's up with that ? :razz: ;)

Cheers,
Steven
Oh you mean like this Scolopendra heros arizonensias? ;)

Or like this S.h. castaniceps?

Surely, these are both non-existant.

Why are the colors on this centipede so hard to believe?