New pede + a video.

Tviokh

Arachnopeon
I'll preface this with: This is the only centipede I have, it's in a cage that would require the ability to teleport to get out of, I'm not a breeder, I have no intentions or aspirations to breed, and should it ever manage to escape, if the climate didn't kill it a dog or cat would. :)

That said, this little guy is a Scolopendra Heros Castaneiceps X Scolopendra Heros Heros cross.

Its looks are what caught my eye; the video isn't the best zoom wise, but this guy has a gradient on its terminals that starts bright yellow and fades into a navy blue. The pede's overall body is a deep navy blue, and its head is orange-ish with some blue spots. Bright yellow legs, bright yellow antennae, overall, it's just neat looking.

So far, it hasn't stopped moving long enough for my cheap camera to get a good shot that shows its color well, but, fortunately, movement is good for video.

Video isn't the best for showing size, but the pede is just under 3 inches right now.

Youtube embedding is being a bit odd today, direct link to the video is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcxrGLTZ3-Q

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcxrGLTZ3-Q[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very nice pede:clap:thanks for sharing,that's the 1 pede i don't have in my pede collection................yet.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm jealous! Your enclosure looks very nice, but good luck finding it again lol It's gonna bury itself and hide in that wood piece.

Tviokh

Arachnopeon
I'm jealous! Your enclosure looks very nice, but good luck finding it again lol It's gonna bury itself and hide in that wood piece.
Yeah, I'm used to that.

The prior inhabitant was a big ol' 10" s. subspinipes (that one is in some of the other videos I have), and I was used to not seeing that monster for a couple months at a time.
Don't worry, the tank had a complete substrate change and a good, chemical free cleaning prior to the new guy moving in.

I tend to prefer to TRY and keep enclosures for them as close to their natural environment as possible; for burrowing species, that means deep substrate and lots of things to hide under.
The trade off, of course, ends up being that it can be days to weeks to months on end before I catch a glimpse of the tank's resident.
For me, it's worth it, just to know that the critter inside is probably a lot more at ease and low stress than they might be if they were in an enclosure that didn't allow them to burrow.

If either me or my husband catches one of our burrowers out, there's this, "Hey, the *burrowing thing* is out if you want to see it!" call that goes out. :D

Heh, I haven't seen my OBT in 5 months now; I know she's still alive as roaches disappear and the web spire gets larger, but I rarely see more than a leg.
On occasion, she's nice enough to kick a molt out for me.

Last edited: