New Pason Blonde...

SteelBlitz1

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I just brought home a Payson Blonde, (first tarantula, but I have a few scorpions) and setup his habitat. There is a hide and water, the substrate is the same stuff he came in from the pet store. Since I put him in there, he has either been on the glass, or upside down on the screen cover. I want to know if this could be because of a habitat condition that he isn't happy with? Is this common? I'd prefer he stay on the 'ground', is there a way to 'grease' the glass so he can't climb the walls? Thank you!

Last edited:

SonnyAZ

Arachnopeon
He is just getting used to his new environment. You don't need to grease the glass. Be sure the substrate is dry (What did they have him on in the pet shop?)

SteelBlitz1

Arachnopeon
According to the clerk theirs is ecoearth coco fiber, from the expandable brick which is also what I have. The supply im using though was expanded it approx. 2-3 weeks ago, and I wrung it out really good at that time. It should be dry right? It is a little cold to the touch, but when i rub it between my fingers it feels dry. could it still be damp? I could move him and let it into the sun for a bit if so... thanks for the reply!

Last edited:

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't want to be rude but what is Payson Blonde?
It is Aphonopelma Sp. "Paysoni" Payson Blonde a variant maybe of aphonopelma chalcodes some people think otherwise.....we will have to wait awhile to find out.....a great looking T! Care for it as you would Aphonopelma Chalcodes.....very dry. Edit....you can find pleanty of care sheets on aphonopelma chalcodes like i said this is how you should care for your "Paysoni" I have two of these spiders and I have 3 chalcodes and I care for them the same....very easy keep dry with a water dish and feed cricket's if you like. These are some of my favorite Tarantulas....well these and pokies....lol...... http://www.arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tcaresheets/achalcoldesc.htm

Last edited:

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Common names:wall:
Just to add on a slight bit of my own frustration: "Paysoni" can't be a species name. There's no taxonomist called Payson who the name would be based on. It's locality is Payson, so go with Aphonopelma sp. "Payson."

Minor and largely irrelevant gripe I suppose, but it gets on the nerves. It would be Aphonopelma paysonensis if it existed, unless someone decided to name a spider after Levi Joseph Payson just to spite me (a look at Platnick's site suggests otherwise).

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
It is Aphonopelma Sp. "Paysoni" Payson Blonde a variant maybe of aphonopelma chalcodes some people think otherwise.....we will have to wait awhile to find out.....a great looking T! Care for it as you would Aphonopelma Chalcodes.....very dry. Edit....you can find pleanty of care sheets on aphonopelma chalcodes like i said this is how you should care for your "Paysoni" I have two of these spiders and I have 3 chalcodes and I care for them the same....very easy keep dry with a water dish and feed cricket's if you like. These are some of my favorite Tarantulas....well these and pokies....lol...... http://www.arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tcaresheets/achalcoldesc.htm
I agree . I have a few different Aphonopelma sp "somewhere" and other then a little color variation they all look like the same tarantula to me . I keep them all the same way and I have no problems . :D

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just to add on a slight bit of my own frustration: "Paysoni" can't be a species name. There's no taxonomist called Payson who the name would be based on. It's locality is Payson, so go with Aphonopelma sp. "Payson."

Minor and largely irrelevant gripe I suppose, but it gets on the nerves. It would be Aphonopelma paysonensis if it existed, unless someone decided to name a spider after Levi Joseph Payson just to spite me (a look at Platnick's site suggests otherwise).
It's just a name to me as in all the other Latin names tagged on these spiders. I just go by what all the websites are calling this spider.....Aphonopelma Sp. "whatever" this stuff all gets too anal for me anyway ....I personally hate the word "Awesome" ;P