New Pamphobetus sp Platyomma spiderling

ethicalsveal

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

I' new to the forum and keeping tarantulas. My first ever T is arriving in Wednesday!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience to share about keeping this species especially at a young age. I've ordered a 2cm spider and I really hope to raise it successfully to adulthood. Before anyone jumps on me YES I have already used the search function on here and done a lot of reading.

It would be really great to meet other keepers of this beautiful T and gets some a tips and someone to ask questions to as my baby fgrows.

Hope everyone is well have a great day!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Hi everyone,

I' new to the forum and keeping tarantulas. My first ever T is arriving in Wednesday!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience to share about keeping this species especially at a young age. I've ordered a 2cm spider and I really hope to raise it successfully to adulthood. Before anyone jumps on me YES I have already used the search function on here and done a lot of reading.

It would be really great to meet other keepers of this beautiful T and gets some a tips and someone to ask questions to as my baby fgrows.

Welcome to the boards, and to tarantula keeping :)

Do you have any specific questions that the research didn't answer?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi everyone,

It’s more helpful to give specific questions. Otherwise we will waste your time and ours with info you already know.

ethicalsveal

Arachnopeon
I'm looking to find some real owners of this T or other pamphos to connect with as most of the info online has just been researched online.

Also as this species lacks a scientific name its sometime confusing to find the right information.

Some questions would be:

How big does this T really get?
How fast does it grow on an average diet?
How easy is it do breed?

Also as I'm getting a 2cm spider in wondering how many more moults might be needed before I will know the gender for sure.
And is coloration the first sign I will see to help set the spider or will physiological differences appear earlier?

This is actualy my first ever T so any personal experiences that people have learned through their own experience rather than books or the Internet would be so helpful for me.

I've had a lot that younger spiders have a higher mortality thank adults so I guess I'm just nervous, I want to get off to the best possible start. Definitely don't want to end up with a dead pet cos I did not ask for help.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I'm looking to find some real owners of this T or other pamphos to connect with as most of the info online has just been researched online.

Also as this species lacks a scientific name its sometime confusing to find the right information.

Some questions would be:

How big does this T really get?
How fast does it grow on an average diet?
How easy is it do breed?

Also as I'm getting a 2cm spider in wondering how many more moults might be needed before I will know the gender for sure.
And is coloration the first sign I will see to help set the spider or will physiological differences appear earlier?

This is actualy my first ever T so any personal experiences that people have learned through their own experience rather than books or the Internet would be so helpful for me.

I've had a lot that younger spiders have a higher mortality thank adults so I guess I'm just nervous, I want to get off to the best possible start. Definitely don't want to end up with a dead pet cos I did not ask for help.
Growth is dependent upon a number of factors: temperatures, feeding schedule , individual tarantula, etc.

From what I understand, not super easy to breed (since this is your first tarantula breeding should not be something you're thinking about yet).

Please don't take the the wrong way, but reading old posts on here on this species will give you every bit as good of information (or better) than anything someone answers to your thread. They're are hundreds of threads on this species over the years

ethicalsveal

Arachnopeon
Right but the search function throws up few results mostly pictures of this species which are tagged. I've read through a bunch of pampho threads and most responses are along the lines of "read older threads you idiot".

I've followed links people posted to older threads and most of them are exactly the same; please read older threads repetition.

That's why I worded the OP exactly the way I did. I joined the boards for the community with other keepers and ita not just about those specific questions it would be nice to meet someone with experience who can chat to me when new problems come up.

I really want this T to thrive as I said I'm a bit worried about mortality with such a small T but idk how common these kinds of things really are . Online I only find younger spiders are "more likley" to die, but how much more likely is that?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Right but the search function throws up few results mostly pictures of this species which are tagged. I've read through a bunch of pampho threads and most responses are along the lines of "read older threads you idiot".

I've followed links people posted to older threads and most of them are exactly the same; please read older threads repetition.

That's why I worded the OP exactly the way I did. I joined the boards for the community with other keepers and ita not just about those specific questions it would be nice to meet someone with experience who can chat to me when new problems come up.

I really want this T to thrive as I said I'm a bit worried about mortality with such a small T but idk how common these kinds of things really are . Online I only find younger spiders are "more likley" to die, but how much more likely is that?
In my experience, not really much more delicate than juveniles.

I did a search for your, try these threads. https://arachnoboards.com/threads/pamphobeteus-questions.306570/

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/keeping-humidity-for-pamphos.285098/

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/phormictopus-and-pamphobeteus-care.279271/post-2420372

Last edited:

ethicalsveal

Arachnopeon
Sweet thank you. That's puts my mind at ease. It seems from what I've read that pamphos are a particularly Hardy genus even by the high standards of other tarantulas.

I know I'm in for a challenge as this is not exactly a docile beginner friendly T. Fingers crossed I can grow this skiing too an adult.

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
Buy yourself some long tongs lol .

Most Ts in general can be sexed at a couple inches . Smaller if you have magnification

ethicalsveal

Arachnopeon
Mine matured into a male about 6 months ago. Absolutely beautiful!
Sweet congrats. Definitely one of the main attractions for me to this T. Both sexes are gorgeous animals and whatever mine is im gonna be delighted either way :)))

Buy yourself some long tongs lol .

Most Ts in general can be sexed at a couple inches . Smaller if you have magnification
Their on my list! Wouldn't it be stressful for a T to be restrained in this way? I don't need to sex my T so badly I want to risk stress or worse injury :/
So sad I lost my zoom lens that clipped onto my mobile phone :'( that would have been perfect for close up viewing. I still have a x2 zoom lens built in so maybe that will show me close enough 🤔

TY

Hi
Restrained this way?
Thongs are to keep your hands out of the enclosure not to pick the tarantula with it.
Not exactly sure what you mean.
Best way to sex is to check the moult after moulting.Not stressful at all to the spider.
I use magnifying glass 2020 app on my phone and is doing great job.
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
Sex molts , not the spider. 😂 A molt of around 3 inches you probably could do by eye , but smaller molts you need magnification of some type .

The tongs are for maintenance. Pamphs love food and you want your fingers nowhere near enclosure

ethicalsveal

Arachnopeon
Hi
Restrained this way?
Thongs are to keep your hands out of the enclosure not to pick the tarantula with it.
Not exactly sure what you mean.
Best way to sex is to check the moult after moulting.Not stressful at all to the spider.
I use magnifying glass 2020 app on my phone and is doing great job.
Regards Konstantin
O sure but I thought he meant using the tongs to get a good look at the T for seeing. So I may be able to tell the sex after first few moults! Great news :))) Ty

Sex molts , not the spider. 😂 A molt of around 3 inches you probably could do by eye , but smaller molts you need magnification of some type .

The tongs are for maintenance. Pamphs love food and you want your fingers nowhere near enclosure
For real no way. I'm only planning to even open the enclosure for spot cleaning and maintenance when necessary. I have holes in the lid to create rainfall and today or tomorrow I'm going to try and see if I can create a hole for feeding. There is already a vent hole in the lid of the tub I purchased which is probably big enough to post through a 1cm feeder :)

Thanks for the tips. I can't wait to find out the gender now its way exciting either way!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
For real no way. I'm only planning to even open the enclosure for spot cleaning and maintenance when necessary. I have holes in the lid to create rainfall and today or tomorrow I'm going to try and see if I can create a hole for feeding. There is already a vent hole in the lid of the tub I purchased which is probably big enough to post through a 1cm feeder :)

Thanks for the tips. I can't wait to find out the gender now its way exciting either way!
Can you post pictures of the planned setup? The way you're describing it, it sounds really big compared to the tarantula

cold blood

Staff member
In general, they are pretty fast growers, putting on a lot of growth per molt. They have insane appetites, so keep fingers away.

Most Pamphs, aside from ultramurinus, get to at least 7", many get larger, up to 9".

They are not even close to delicate as slings...just keep water available and part of the sub damp.

Do yourself a favor, enjoy your first, dont be concerned about its sex, thats about the least important thing for a beginner to worry about.

ethicalsveal

Arachnopeon
In general, they are pretty fast growers, putting on a lot of growth per molt. They have insane appetites, so keep fingers away.

Most Pamphs, aside from ultramurinus, get to at least 7", many get larger, up to 9".

They are not even close to delicate as slings...just keep water available and part of the sub damp.

Do yourself a favor, enjoy your first, dont be concerned about its sex, thats about the least important thing for a beginner to worry about.
Sweet thanks that's very helpful 👍

I'm not worries about the sex I was just curious how soon I'd be able to find out. Either gender this is a beautiful and fascinating animal.

Thanks so much for the wise words :)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sweet thanks that's very helpful 👍

I'm not worries about the sex I was just curious how soon I'd be able to find out. Either gender this is a beautiful and fascinating animal.

Thanks so much for the wise words :)
You can look at the insides of moulted skin. Females have spermatheca. Some speicies are easy to see sex by looking at the abdominal underside. These methods requires a juvenile spider or bigger if you dont have eyesight like a hawk. But that speicies of yours grows pretty quick. Males tends to be mire metallic purple on legs and carapace aswell onve they gained some size, like subadults?

ethicalsveal

Arachnopeon
Arrived this morning! Hasn't even thought about hiding just popped out and started looking for food right away :))

Just hope I'll be able to keep it moist enough for him. I'm in London and it's already crazy hot out this early. This guy mostly chills in his water bath or the moist sub nearby. Food likes to hang out there tho so that could also explain it 🕸

Attachments