New P. irminia sling/juvie

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Went by my LPS yesterday and picked up a 1.5" sling, probably closer to a juvenile.

The spider guy there said they have had these for a few months, no one buying them - too fast and they hide too much

They have them in 32 oz deli cups with vented lids and sure enough all the slings had made dirt curtains behind cork bark slabs in the containers and all were hiding.

He opened one of the containers to feed/see one of the slings in front of me and IT EXPLODED out of the container!
We both scrambled to re-acquire the spider and I contained it in a 16 oz deli cup against the inside top of the display case. With a sheet of paper I was able to get it back into the larger deli cup and through the trial of fire, the spider became mine and I became it's new guardian.

Here's a pic of the new acquisition

IMG_20200323_160831.jpg

I will pop a few more holes in the 32 oz cup, it seems kind of humid in there. I will also assemble it's next home, either a 4x4x8 amac container OR a 1 gallon square jug ala Tom Moran. Eventually, an Exo Terra Nano Tall. I will NOT mod the top screened lid lol

Based on what I have seen of this species, dirt curtains from the ground up attached to a vertical/leaning branch, it would seem other decor like fake plants and leaves may not be relevant.
What are your experiences with that?

ps. also posted on the "other" T forum

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's more than one T forum, I certainly post links to other forums that provide good info. Good info, is just that, good info.

Your T is par for the course w/that species. I always provide this genus cork bark. I find cork bark to be the best cage furniture for Ts.

Not modding the lid, as in not removing the screen? If so, not the smartest idea.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I set them up with slightly deeper sub and put plants either side of the base of the bark, I find my non-Avic arboreals (for the most part) tend to hide less when given more cover.

Non Avic setup 1.jpg

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
I set them up with slightly deeper sub and put plants either side of the base of the bark, I find my non-Avic arboreals (for the most part) tend to hide less when given more cover.
Thanks for the info, and the pic!

You don't see value in attaching the water dish up high?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Went by my LPS yesterday and picked up a 1.5" sling, probably closer to a juvenile.

The spider guy there said they have had these for a few months, no one buying them - too fast and they hide too much

They have them in 32 oz deli cups with vented lids and sure enough all the slings had made dirt curtains behind cork bark slabs in the containers and all were hiding.

He opened one of the containers to feed/see one of the slings in front of me and IT EXPLODED out of the container!
We both scrambled to re-acquire the spider and I contained it in a 16 oz deli cup against the inside top of the display case. With a sheet of paper I was able to get it back into the larger deli cup and through the trial of fire, the spider became mine and I became it's new guardian.

Here's a pic of the new acquisition

IMG_20200323_160831.jpg

I will pop a few more holes in the 32 oz cup, it seems kind of humid in there. I will also assemble it's next home, either a 4x4x8 amac container OR a 1 gallon square jug ala Tom Moran. Eventually, an Exo Terra Nano Tall. I will NOT mod the top screened lid lol

Based on what I have seen of this species, dirt curtains from the ground up attached to a vertical/leaning branch, it would seem other decor like fake plants and leaves may not be relevant.
What are your experiences with that?

ps. also posted on the "other" T forum
The whole genus are very nice. Yes they likes to dig especially when they are juveniles, but also when they are adult. IME, generally they are more behaving like Poecilotherias in captivety, more so than say Avicularias

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thanks for the info, and the pic!

You don't see value in attaching the water dish up high?
No, I don't do it in any of my arboreal enclosures, non-Avic arboreals live close to ground anyway (which makes elevated dishes kinda pointless), and all of my Aviculariinae will happily come down to ground level to drink (even shortly after moulting).

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Irma the P. irminia (hoping for a female here( has been feeling more comfortable. Found her completely out of her dirt burrow just now. WFH has been good for spider sightings!

IMG_20200327_100047.jpg

I melted a bunch more holes in her deli cup yesterday and fed her a medium B. lat yesterday evening. She attached the crap out of it and drug at back into her burrow.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tarantulaforum.com

There seems to be a lot of discussion around this particular topic and the consensus appears it's more of an issue for terrestrials, and not so much for arboreals
More of an issue for terrestrials-- but it's still an issue for arboreals.

My male Avic used to get stuck, then I fixed that and dumped the screen. It's your T, you want to risk it losing a leg or dying up to you unfortunately and not the T.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
So, I have not seen P. irminia in maybe 10 days... should I be worried?
Only if you left the cup open 😉

Did it build a dirt curtain? Did you try feeding it during the past week? When did it molt last?

I have my P. irminia enclosure in a dark place and often see her out. They also molt VERY often as juvies, so that's always a guess. They have a fantastic feeding response otherwise.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Only if you left the cup open 😉

Did it build a dirt curtain? Did you try feeding it during the past week? When did it molt last?

I have my P. irminia enclosure in a dark place and often see her out. They also molt VERY often as juvies, so that's always a guess. They have a fantastic feeding response otherwise.
Nope, did not leave the cup open

Dirt curtain was pre-existing my ownership and I've seen her eat - impressive af

Her enclosure sits with the rest of my sling enclosures, not dark but not in direct light either.

I put food in her cup about a week ago, cricket and 6mm B. lat roach. The roach is still there, the cricket molted in the enclosure, but I can't find it anymore.

I suspect (hope) she is molting in there...

Thanks for the reassuring reply :happy:

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Nope, did not leave the cup open

Dirt curtain was pre-existing my ownership and I've seen her eat - impressive af

Her enclosure sits with the rest of my sling enclosures, not dark but not in direct light either.

I put food in her cup about a week ago, cricket and 6mm B. lat roach. The roach is still there, the cricket molted in the enclosure, but I can't find it anymore.

I suspect (hope) she is molting in there...

Thanks for the reassuring reply :happy:
I'd be careful with leaving feeders in with molting Ts... There are many stories of slings being killed by crickets, but Ts of all sizes can be wounded by feeder insects during a molt. I don't like the sound of T AND feeder going missing in a small cup.

Under these circumstances I'd remove the roach and carefully check the enclosure for the T and the missing cricket. P. irminia are lightning fast...

Keep us posted! :)

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
I'd be careful with leaving feeders in with molting Ts... There are many stories of slings being killed by crickets, but Ts of all sizes can be wounded by feeder insects during a molt. I don't like the sound of T AND feeder going missing in a small cup.

Under these circumstances I'd remove the roach and carefully check the enclosure for the T and the missing cricket. P. irminia are lightning fast...

Keep us posted! :)
Thanks!
The T is buried in her dirt curtains, no feeder wanted to go in there lol but I understand the risk

How do you best recommend I check the enclosure?
Obviously I will open the cup, but the the T already darted out at the LPS - yes it was fast - but we opened it inside another, larger enclosure so it was basically captive

Also, if I am going to disturb the T to check in on it, should I use this opp to re-house her?
I suspect if she did molt, she may be too big for that cup now.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks!
The T is buried in her dirt curtains, no feeder wanted to go in there lol but I understand the risk

How do you best recommend I check the enclosure?
Obviously I will open the cup, but the the T already darted out at the LPS - yes it was fast - but we opened it inside another, larger enclosure so it was basically captive

Also, if I am going to disturb the T to check in on it, should I use this opp to re-house her?
I suspect if she did molt, she may be too big for that cup now.
Tricky situation and P. irminia are one of my least favorite species to maintain and rehouse - I don't like things teleporting ;)

Doing a rehouse would be a good option right now, especially if you planned on doing one anyway. I can only recommend THIS VIDEO by Tom Moran on rehousing P. Irminia. It's an almost foolproof way of doing it and the way I rehouse all of my arboreal sp.

I'd do it like Tom Moran in the video and have a cup at the top ready, while using the tongs to lift the Ts hide away. If it is currently molting, abort and let it do its thing. If not, I'd recommend coaxing it into a cup and clean out the feeders. It's likely either in premolt, molting, or not yet ready to eat after molting.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Tricky situation and P. irminia are one of my least favorite species to maintain and rehouse - I don't like things teleporting ;)

Doing a rehouse would be a good option right now, especially if you planned on doing one anyway. I can only recommend THIS VIDEO by Tom Moran on rehousing P. Irminia. It's an almost foolproof way of doing it and the way I rehouse all of my arboreal sp.

I'd do it like Tom Moran in the video and have a cup at the top ready, while using the tongs to lift the Ts hide away. If it is currently molting, abort and let it do its thing. If not, I'd recommend coaxing it into a cup and clean out the feeders. It's likely either in premolt, molting, or not yet ready to eat after molting.
I've watched that video and have a cup setup along with a new gallon jug (ordered because of Tom) for P. irminia - thank you for linking it!

EDIT: just saw movement from inside the dirt curtain. I will wait her out before going in!

Last edited:

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
I've watched that video and have a cup setup along with a new gallon jug (ordered because of Tom) for P. irminia - thank you for linking it!

EDIT: just saw movement from inside the dirt curtain. I will wait her out before going in!
That's good to hear! A bright flashlight can often reveal what's behind thick webbing and dirt curtains, although it's sometimes a bit finicky. There's of course the possibility that she ate the cricket already... all in all lots of possibilities. But her moving is a good start!

P. irminia are more inclined to come out in really dark environments and at night. If I turn on the light or move too much around the terra, my girl vanishes into her hide. If you catch her out, you'll be able to tell if she grew in size and if her fangs are hardened/black.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
"dusk warshed over the dude" and who is poking out the back door?

IMG_20200415_194541.jpg

Tapped the enclosure and she bolted backwards into her dirt den.

Doesn't appear to have molted at first glance, probably just self-isolating due to the COVID

Last edited:

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Rehoused P. irminia without issue a few weeks ago, here's a photo update IMG_20200507_065702.jpg IMG_20200517_213001.jpg
Feeding time was fun to watch, she slammed the first cricket so hard and patiently waited for the second one - I got tired of waiting lol