New owner - question about enclosure

Andyfox10

Arachnopeon
Hello

I'm thinking of buying my first tarantula and it would be a T. albopilosus with a DLS of 1.8 inch. I have an enclosure set up already, but it is 8 inches long and 5 inches wide. Is this too big for her, should I buy a smaller enclosure or would she be okay in the current one?

Also I've done lots of research and I think that I have my enclosure set up correctly, but I'm wondering if there is anything that I should change or correct?

Thank you all for your answers

IMG_20200922_222358.jpg

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
Should be just fine. The main logic behind smaller enclosures is so you can easily monitor the sling, and the sling can easily find food. Yours should be just fine in both those aspects, (assuming small enough ventilation holes/slits to prevent injury or escape, as mentioned above).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello

I'm thinking of buying my first tarantula and it would be a T. albopilosus with a DLS of 1.8 inch. I have an enclosure set up already, but it is 8 inches long and 5 inches wide. Is this too big for her, should I buy a smaller enclosure or would she be okay in the current one?

Also I've done lots of research and I think that I have my enclosure set up correctly, but I'm wondering if there is anything that I should change or correct?

Thank you all for your answers

View attachment 360720
Looks great- make sure it can’t escape through any ventilation holes.

Andyfox10

Arachnopeon
Okay great, thanks everyone.
I taped up the bigger ventilation holes from the inside and I'll put hot glue over some other problematic parts.
I hope the smaller ones won't be a problem. They are a milimetre (0.04 inches) wide and less than a centimetre (0.4 inches) long.

IMG_20200923_105450.jpg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I taped up the bigger ventilation holes from the inside and I'll put hot glue over some other problematic parts.
I hope the smaller ones won't be a problem. They are a milimetre (0.04 inches) wide and less than a centimetre (0.4 inches) long.

View attachment 360793
The side vents don't need to be taped over, it won't be able to escape through those vents, you should tape over the bits I've circled below as I know from experience that tarantulas can escape through those (had a juvie B. smithi go on the run for 36hrs, he left a trail of webbing that revealed how he escaped).

IMG_20200923_105450.jpg

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight

View attachment 360793
The side vents are good for cross ventilation.

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
I think the enclosure looks good but I am not a fan of tape anywhere. I have just seen too many issues with a T getting stuck and losing a leg or worse....