New Owner of a new Heterometrus spinifer ((Asian forest scorpion)) Help ?

Grumlen

Arachnopeon
i recently bought a Heterometrus spinifer judging by its size im assuming its an adult. It is my first scorpion and I know they molt, i was curious on how to tell because mine to my knowledge has refused food the past 3 days is it because he is full or is going to molt soon ?
its gone into its hide a bunch of times n chilled for a bit but still comes out to roam finds a spot chills for a bit. I just wanna be sure im doing everything right and I know what's going on Ty! Snapchat-1283727408.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Beautiful specimen there! :scorpion:
They can take up to two weeks to settle into a new enclosure so may not eat/refuse food during this time. They can also go for months without eating so the lower the temps the slower their metabolism. If they're due for a molt they get very fat like a sausage, you can see their pleural membrane and their armour goes dull. They also refuse to eat but will drink water a lot more. Once adult though they don't molt again.
Nice set up for the enclosure as well... they like to burrow so make sure there's plenty of substrate for it to burrow into (3-4 inches or more)

Grumlen

Arachnopeon
Beautiful specimen there! :scorpion:
They can take up to two weeks to settle into a new enclosure so may not eat/refuse food during this time. They can also go for months without eating so the lower the temps the slower their metabolism. If they're due for a molt they get very fat like a sausage, you can see their pleural membrane and their armour goes dull. They also refuse to eat but will drink water a lot more. Once adult though they don't molt again.
Nice set up for the enclosure as well... they like to burrow so make sure there's plenty of substrate for it to burrow into (3-4 inches or more)
ohhh okay and do u think mine is at adult stage? also what does the membrane look like ?

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
it looks like an adult and the membrane is the whitish part between the plates on the abdomen. You can see it on the sides of the scorpion.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
That's right, what happens is that expands when it eats (and they can eat a lot of food in one sitting) so those plates on its back will spread apart. It does a similar thing when they're in premolt, and when they're gravid (pregnant). This one looks to be an adult so they don't need to eat as much as a juvenile. One meal a week is enough for this scorpion. If it doesn't eat for a month, it's fine, they can go without eating for months.

Grumlen

Arachnopeon
That's right, what happens is that expands when it eats (and they can eat a lot of food in one sitting) so those plates on its back will spread apart. It does a similar thing when they're in premolt, and when they're gravid (pregnant). This one looks to be an adult so they don't need to eat as much as a juvenile. One meal a week is enough for this scorpion. If it doesn't eat for a month, it's fine, they can go without eating for months.
Thank you so much :D i wanna get a juvenile scorpion but i've had some bad experience at pet stores any recommendations by chance?

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
You're welcome!
Petshops aren't the best places to buy scorpions because they almost never get the husbandry right, plus they often misidentify them (call them Emperor scorpions when they're Asian Forest scorpions). My best recommendation for buying scorpions is through sellers on this website, in the classified section! :geek:

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Your scorpion is not a H. spinifer it is Heterometrus silenus. The real Heterometrus spinifer has been making increased appearances in the hobby but it is still pretty rare.

Nearly all Asian Forest Scorpions sold in the US are Heterometrus silenus exported out of Vietnam especially those sold in local pet stores.