New Owner, New Here - C. Versicolor

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
Hi. Thought I'd better join as a good resource as I embark on my T ownership journey.
Always loved them from afar and always wanted one but never in the position to have one due to nomadic lifestyle.

So researched and researched and researched and really fell in love with the C. versicolor because of the beautiful colors, but also because it is supposed to be fairly docile, so of course that is what I wanted. Of course NO WHERE had any juveniles or sub-adults/adults for sale so I had to settle for a sling...not great for a first time owner, I know...but I think I've done all the research, watched all the videos (so have balanced information), read all the boards here when I had a question and learned everything I could ahead of time, and ordered from a reputable place along with appropriate housing and food (lots of ventilation and cross-ventilation).

So I am now the proud owner of a tiny 2cm(ish) (difficult to measure) C. versicolor sling and rehousing it into it's itty-bitty arboreal keeper went super smoothly (it had actually escaped from the paper towel and was settled on the lid of the shipping vial). It explored a while and has already laid down a bit of webbing and has found a favorite spot within about 24 hours. Tried feeding to see if it was interested (ugh, micro crickets) but not interested yet so will give it a few more days. Has water dish and cork bark and a couple of twigs and substrate is drying out (had to wet it from packaging). He (or she) currently looks very healthy (abdomen and carapace are approximately the same size right now).

Really hope I don't screw this up (my biggest fear is it dying) so if I have any questions or need advice will come to knowledgeable lot.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Welcome. Feel free to post pics of your enclosure if you'd like any feedback. It sounds from your description like you could stand to add a few leaves in the top 1/2 for the sling to build web tubes in and around (unless the "twigs" have leaves on them). I'd also suggest that whatever you have in the way of ventilation could safely be doubled - these guys are really sensitive to stagnant air (probably the #1 killer of versi slings).

Good resources for new keepers if you haven't seen them yet:

And for Caribena and Avicularia care specifically:

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
Welcome. Feel free to post pics of your enclosure if you'd like any feedback. It sounds from your description like you could stand to add a few leaves in the top 1/2 for the sling to build web tubes in and around (unless the "twigs" have leaves on them). I'd also suggest that whatever you have in the way of ventilation could safely be doubled - these guys are really sensitive to stagnant air (probably the #1 killer of versi slings).

Good resources for new keepers if you haven't seen them yet:

And for Caribena and Avicularia care specifically:

Thanks for the reply. So far he/she hasn't shown much interest in the top section, although has explored it, and is starting to web around the base of the cork bark and twigs right by the ventilation holes and of course it's webbing over where the enclosure snaps together which is frustrating as not liking the idea of breaking the webbing when it comes time to feed or change water etc. I don't think I can add any more holes especially as the sling is now in it but they are decently large (not large-enough for it to escape but not pin-holes either). The enclosure is an Arboreal Keeper (brand/style) in small and seemed to have good reviews for this particular species...the spider-specific (not just a pet shop) dealer/seller recommended it also.

I think I've pretty much read EVERY post, blog, website etc, watched every video out there for new keepers and feel well-informed...but always eager to learn more.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The enclosure is an Arboreal Keeper (brand/style) in small and seemed to have good reviews for this particular species...the spider-specific (not just a pet shop) dealer/seller recommended it also.
The webbing where the enclosure snaps together is one of the reasons I avoid these enclosures, 32oz deli cups work much better for arboreal slings IME

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
The webbing where the enclosure snaps together is one of the reasons I avoid these enclosures, 32oz deli cups work much better for arboreal slings IME
Is it worth re-housing now or waiting for a few weeks as I know it can stress them out. I can drop food in at at the top as well as water.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
So far he/she hasn't shown much interest in the top section, although has explored it, and is starting to web around the base of the cork bark and twigs
I'm guessing that's because there isn't foliage in the top section for it to hide in. For your arboreal T to act like an arboreal T, the enclosure needs to be set up correctly.

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
I'm guessing that's because there isn't foliage in the top section for it to hide in. For your arboreal T to act like an arboreal T, the enclosure needs to be set up correctly.
Got it. Will adjust accordingly. I have some fake foliage hanging around to will re-think the enclosure and adapt to suit him better

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
No need to wait, better to get it done out of the way
Thanks. Have done so. The new enclosure is a bit bigger than ideal as it was all I could find in acrylic BUT good ventilation with a drill; anything smaller that I tried (bought a few containers) sucked with drilled holes (presuming because plastic and not arcrylic) and left sharp corners and shards. Enclosure now has leaves and flowers up high, cork bark down low to hide under, some roof ventilation and four-wall cross ventilation. I felt bad for creating the upheaval for him/her again but after a bit of exploring and hiding under the original cork bark for a bit he/she is now happily sitting at the highest point of the enclosure (love just being able to see it) just chilling.
Being that it's bigger than I would like for a 2cm sling I will aim food near it rather than just dropping it in. I was cursing micro crickets but after dropping a couple of cardboard centers from poop bag rolls into the cricket bucket I can now just pick that up, tap a couple of crickets in and not worry about trying to catch them. Sling not hungry yet (not worried as life has been an upheaval in the last 48 hrs and he is a healthy size) although have tempted him. Will try again in a few days when he is fully settled. No idea of sex (obviously) but referring to it as a him just feels okay...still deciding on a name; George or Wilson are considerations at this point

Attachments

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks. Have done so. The new enclosure is a bit bigger than ideal as it was all I could find in acrylic BUT good ventilation with a drill; anything smaller that I tried (bought a few containers) sucked with drilled holes (presuming because plastic and not arcrylic) and left sharp corners and shards. Enclosure now has leaves and flowers up high, cork bark down low to hide under, some roof ventilation and four-wall cross ventilation. I felt bad for creating the upheaval for him/her again but after a bit of exploring and hiding under the original cork bark for a bit he/she is now happily sitting at the highest point of the enclosure (love just being able to see it) just chilling.
Being that it's bigger than I would like for a 2cm sling I will aim food near it rather than just dropping it in. I was cursing micro crickets but after dropping a couple of cardboard centers from poop bag rolls into the cricket bucket I can now just pick that up, tap a couple of crickets in and not worry about trying to catch them. Sling not hungry yet (not worried as life has been an upheaval in the last 48 hrs and he is a healthy size) although have tempted him. Will try again in a few days when he is fully settled. No idea of sex (obviously) but referring to it as a him just feels okay...still deciding on a name; George or Wilson are considerations at this point
That is much better than what I imagine the original looking like! Yes, it's a little bigger than it needs to be, but these guys grow pretty fast so it won't be for long. Soon it'll start to build web tunnels and tubes between those leaves and the sides of the enclosure. Once it does that, you'll have a clear target to drop your feeders (the opening of the tube). The only thing that I don't see which you could still use is a water dish of some sort - even something as simple as the cap from a plastic water bottle works great. The sling will use it to drink from, especially at night - you can just place it right on the substrate, the T will come down to it.

Good job!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
enclosure is good. After it settles in, poke a few holes (not all the way through) in the front of the cork at about the height of the bottom vent holes. Then take some plastic leaves (singles) and shove the stems into the holes so there is a canopy at about that level. That will allow your T to build the classic hammock.
I use cooking skewers to make the holes. I have added pictures of a basic Avicularia / Versicolor enclosure to show the leaves and the hammock

Attachments

Last edited:

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the reply. So far he/she hasn't shown much interest in the top section, although has explored it, and is starting to web around the base of the cork bark and twigs right by the ventilation holes and of course it's webbing over where the enclosure snaps together which is frustrating as not liking the idea of breaking the webbing when it comes time to feed or change water etc. I don't think I can add any more holes especially as the sling is now in it but they are decently large (not large-enough for it to escape but not pin-holes either). The enclosure is an Arboreal Keeper (brand/style) in small and seemed to have good reviews for this particular species...the spider-specific (not just a pet shop) dealer/seller recommended it also.

I think I've pretty much read EVERY post, blog, website etc, watched every video out there for new keepers and feel well-informed...but always eager to learn more.
Hey West Sussex Dune Elliot - Littlehampton perhaps?

PRESUMING you have the same Arboreal Keeper as I do... they have a removable top hatch - you can top up water and feed through the hole. Most of the ones I have seen have this. Use a pipette to top up water

Avic_box2.jpg

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
That is much better than what I imagine the original looking like! Yes, it's a little bigger than it needs to be, but these guys grow pretty fast so it won't be for long. Soon it'll start to build web tunnels and tubes between those leaves and the sides of the enclosure. Once it does that, you'll have a clear target to drop your feeders (the opening of the tube). The only thing that I don't see which you could still use is a water dish of some sort - even something as simple as the cap from a plastic water bottle works great. The sling will use it to drink from, especially at night - you can just place it right on the substrate, the T will come down to it.

Good job!
Thanks. I thought I lost him over night as couldn't locate him but he has now found a nice hidey spot in some of the leaves where I suspect he will stay for a bit.

There is a water bowl in the bottom of the enclosure, it just blends very well with the substrate. I did actually see him suck up an entire water droplet from the side of the tank when he did some exploring yesterday after I'd moved him. So that was good to see.

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
Hey West Sussex Dune Elliot - Littlehampton perhaps?

PRESUMING you have the same Arboreal Keeper as I do... they have a removable top hatch - you can top up water and feed through the hole. Most of the ones I have seen have this. Use a pipette to top up water

View attachment 426597
Yes, it is this one. So yes, can drop food and water in but also difficult if it needs cleaning. I didn't like it much for viewing, and crickets kept escaping. He's moved now though.

And no, not Littlehampton...closer to Surrey

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks. I thought I lost him over night as couldn't locate him but he has now found a nice hidey spot in some of the leaves where I suspect he will stay for a bit.

There is a water bowl in the bottom of the enclosure, it just blends very well with the substrate. I did actually see him suck up an entire water droplet from the side of the tank when he did some exploring yesterday after I'd moved him. So that was good to see.
Avics don’t always drink from a bowl, did you find that in your research?

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
Yes, it is this one. So yes, can drop food and water in but also difficult if it needs cleaning. I didn't like it much for viewing, and crickets kept escaping. He's moved now though.

And no, not Littlehampton...closer to Surrey
I got mislead by the dunes.... i was trying to work out where sand dunes were. I lived a bit in Barnham / Arundal / Chichester

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire

Good job!
Had a heart-in-mouth freak out moment this morning. Thought I came down to the corpse of a dead sling. I've only had him 5 days and he refused food which I attributed to not being settled.
But nope, he was in pre-molt and he molted overnight even though he didn't look pre-moltish. So guess the bigger enclosure was a good idea. Hopefully in a few days he'll be eating again (breeder confirmed he was eating live micro crickets before shipping) and I might get to see him.