New owner, got advice?

ajg74

Arachnopeon
I just got a chaco golden knee tarantula to start her off i have her in a ten gallon with some jungle mix, a water dish with two sponges and i've been feeding her superworms which she seems to love. I've been doing some reading and watching some videos on them but if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

balroth

Arachnopeon
hi there im new to arachnoboards nice to be part of the community:)
the set up you have sounds fine but i really recommend you remove the sponges as they are a breeding ground for bacteria and the t doesnt need them to drink happy t keeping!!

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I just got a chaco golden knee tarantula to start her off i have her in a ten gallon with some jungle mix, a water dish with two sponges and i've been feeding her superworms which she seems to love. I've been doing some reading and watching some videos on them but if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
10 gallons is a little big, but o.k. - trash the sponges, they can be bad, and don't do any good at all - vary her diet some, but superworms are fine if she likes them :razz:

Oh, and welcome to the hobby - - I'm new too, but those are the basics :razz:

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd take out the sponges. Superworms are like feeding candy to kids on a constant diet IMO (in my opinion);P

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Superworms aren't that bad, they have they contain a little more fat than crickets, but they also have more protein too. I switch my T's back and forth between crickets and superworms, mealworms for the smaller ones that can/will take them.

http://www.timberlinefisheries.com/Web Images/SILFAC.pdf

That link is pretty informative about the nutritional differences between feeders. (it is a PDF so it may take some time to load.)

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First of all i'd recommend reading some of the stickies at the top of this forum, there's tons of great information in there for new keepers.

Seconds, welcome to the hobby! I'm sure you'll be getting more tarantulas soon, I first started with one, now I have 17, and thats nothing compared to some of the other keepers on here.

But yeah as someone said, 10g is a lil big, not that its going to hurt your tarantula or anything, but a 5g would do just fine. Remove the sponges too, you don't need them, just keep a wide, shallow water dish for your tarantula and it will be fine.

Good luck with it!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But yeah as someone said, 10g is a lil big, not that its going to hurt your tarantula or anything, but a 5g would do just fine. Remove the sponges too, you don't need them, just keep a wide, shallow water dish for your tarantula and it will be fine.

Good luck with it!
Sorry to dissagree :) but, why would anyone say that a 10G tank for a Pulchripes is too big ,specially when we dont even know the size?

Last edited:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to dissagree :) but, why would anyone say that a 10G tank for a Pulchripes ,specially when we dont even know the size?
X2

A ten gallon for an adult T, is not too big. Itty bitty sling, not so much.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some other general advice - learn scientific names as it helps prevent confusion and learn to use the search function here.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to dissagree :) but, why would anyone say that a 10G tank for a Pulchripes is too big ,specially when we dont even know the size?
Yeah, if it is eating superworms, it definitely isn't a sling! {D

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Welcome to the hobby! I also advise taking out the sponges. a water dish will suffice. Oh and don't think you'll get through it with only ONE tarantula... they're addictive!:D

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kind of what I was thinking too Fran! I have a monster huge LP in a 20Long with a very unique rolling landscape! Is it too big, not at all! Is it overkill, yeah - probably! but my chubby girl roams to both sides all the time and never uses her hide. In fact, if I clean it out, she fills it right back up with strate.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I personally wouldnt put anything bigger than a 6-7" in a 10G tank :).

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome, Ajg74. :) Great choice for a first spider- i don't have one (yet) myself, but i've heard very good things about the chacos. Where did you get him/her? How big is s/he? Does it have a name yet? Post some pictures if you can. :D

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, a couple of people hinted at this but no answer was forthcoming. How big is this tarantula? If this is a full sized G. pulchripes (8"-ish) then 10gal is appropriate. If this guy is say, under 4" then I'd agree that you have it in an unnecessarily large enclosure. This can sometimes cause difficulties with feeding and is potentially dangerous due to risks of falling.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My bad, made an assumption that it was a sling/juve since thats what a lot of people (but not everyone) starts with.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I smile sheepishly :p not sure why I was thinking it was a smaller T, but either way, the new Chaco seems to be in good, new hands.