New Owner, Concerned

Andiness

Arachnopeon
I just got an adult Chilean Rose yesterday, and I'm doing all the research I can. I know they aren't a very active species, so I don't expect my Lloth to move around a whole lot. However, since I got her set up in her enclosure, she is keeping her legs close to her body and almost covering her carapace. I'm not really sure if I should be concerned, or if this is normal adjustment behavior. She is in a brighter room than her last home, as I don't really have any dark rooms. She isn't in direct sunlight, and I generally keep the lights off in that room. She is drinking just fine, and the people I got her from said she's due to be fed sometime in the next week. I don't know the last time she molted, or even for sure how old she is, as she was rescued from being a class pet. Her substrate is peat moss, and it is a little more damp than she likes, she hugged the walls for an hour or two after I put her in her enclosure. She's sitting right around 72-74 Fahrenheit, so I know she's not cold. 20170227_121408.jpg

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
What kind of enclosure is that? I can´t see the whole thing on that picture, but from what I can see, the distance from the substrate to the top is way too high. A fall might injure or even kill the tarantula. Also, that top seems hazardous.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This position is called a 'stresscurl' and is normal for spiders when in a new environment or enduring maintenance or changes. Is the substrate dry already? They hate moisture with a passion. Does she have a hide? She might feel more secure in one. I'll post a link in a minute with more info.

Andiness

Arachnopeon
@Townes I realize she does have a good distance to the top of her enclosure, however, for whatever reason, she doesn't seem to be able to get a grip on the sides at all. When I first put her in there, she put one foot on her water dish and balanced against the wall. Shes in a glass terrarium.

@andrea The substrate is dry now. She has two hides and has not gone into either one since bringing her home. She seems to prefer hanging out on top of one of them.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
What kind of enclosure is that? I can´t see the whole thing on that picture, but from what I can see, the distance from the substrate to the top is way too high. A fall might injure or even kill the tarantula. Also, that top seems hazardous.
It looks like an aquarium with a screen top.

I'd add more substrate like Townes suggested and replace the screen top with a piece of cut plexiglass. Ts can get their claws caught in the screen tops and lose legs so screen is not what you want for them. That species makes new keepers nervous because it doesn't move very often and can go without eating for long periods of time.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
@Townes I realize she does have a good distance to the top of her enclosure, however, for whatever reason, she doesn't seem to be able to get a grip on the sides at all. When I first put her in there, she put one foot on her water dish and balanced against the wall. Shes in a glass terrarium.
Ts can lose their ability to climb glass well when they are in premolt or the glass is damp. Eventually she will climb (all of mine do) and having less distance to fall is better. She'll likely settle in over the next few days and be fine.

Andiness

Arachnopeon
I'm generally aware of their tendency to be pet rocks. It's not really her lack of activity that has me concerned. The enclosure is the one that was given to me with her. I changed out her substrate when I got her home, because it was just a thin layer on the bottom and was honestly pretty smelly. I think a lot of my nerves simply come from never having had a T before and I've got new owner jitters.

Andiness

Arachnopeon
I will add some more substrate but it will likely be a couple weeks before I could get plexiglass for her top. Is there anything else I could use in the meantime?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm generally aware of their tendency to be pet rocks. It's not really her lack of activity that has me concerned. The enclosure is the one that was given to me with her. I changed out her substrate when I got her home, because it was just a thin layer on the bottom and was honestly pretty smelly. I think a lot of my nerves simply come from never having had a T before and I've got new owner jitters.
We have all been there before. You'll settle in over the next few days too. :D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I will add some more substrate but it will likely be a couple weeks before I could get plexiglass for her top. Is there anything else I could use in the meantime?
Short term you'll likely be ok. Just get it replaced as soon as you can.

Welcome to the hobby.

Andiness

Arachnopeon
Thanks, Trenor. I expect I'll adjust just fine. lol. I've always wanted a T, but never really seemed to have the extra cash on hand to get started up. This lovely girl was a gift, along with her enclosure, hides, and water dish. I would like to get her a new hide at some point as well, because her current ones are half a solo cup wrapped in camo duct tape, and what appears to be a slightly larger curved piece of plastic, also wrapped in duct tape. I'm thinking about getting her a half-log.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Thanks, Trenor. I expect I'll adjust just fine. lol. I've always wanted a T, but never really seemed to have the extra cash on hand to get started up. This lovely girl was a gift, along with her enclosure, hides, and water dish. I would like to get her a new hide at some point as well, because her current ones are half a solo cup wrapped in camo duct tape, and what appears to be a slightly larger curved piece of plastic, also wrapped in duct tape. I'm thinking about getting her a half-log.
A nice piece of half round corkbark works great when you half bury it. There are lots of good hide options out there. Those are great Ts. Easy to care for and the females live a very long time.

Next thing you know you'll have 5 more. :D

Andiness

Arachnopeon
I would love to have more! However, I don't really have the space. Eventually, once in used to owning large spiders, I would love to have an H. lividum.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've used a piece of 2" wood with some holes drilled and a heavy book on top for a couple days. I like that name haha DnD fan?

Andiness

Arachnopeon
I don't play, but I've read most of the books that follow Drizzt. And considering my cats are all named after some mythical being, I figured the name of a goddess was perfect for my T.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
@Venom I don't play, but I've read most of the books that follow Drizzt. And considering my cats are all named after some mythical being, I figured the name of a goddess was perfect for my T.
just started reading them myself, good stuff. :) you tagged someone else there btw.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Welcome to the hobby! I love my rosie and she's been with me a loooong time.

I'd like to offer a cheap and attractive alternative to a cork bark, with things you may have on hand or easily accessible.

I used a rectangular tupperware, cut U-shaped holes in each side big enough for my T to walk through...then got some sphagnum moss at Petco, a hot glue gun, and boom- a cute hide. Just made sure to cover any sharp edges of the plastic with moss and get rid of any strings of hot glue that may be left over. Took about 5 minutes.
Here's a photo :D