New Owner, Completely a Mess, as per usual.

JEMega

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone I'm a new owner of my B.Albie (Roach) and my G.Pulchra (Corpserot). I have lost a baby greenbottle blue (Fishbones) via mealworm, I feel like it was such a stupid mistake and I now know I should have researched Mealworms more as a food source, I thought they had finished every one I gave them and it turned out to be a grave oversight. I'm sorry Fishbones. This Has shaken my confidence though, and since my babies are all slings I've been getting stressed out perhaps more than they are, I just want to make sure their enclosures and feeding schedule is fine. After the attack I moved both of them to new enclosures and this was the first time Roach started to eat, I cut a small worm in half and they ate both ends, though I moved Corpserot to a slightly bigger encloser and I feel they are uncomfortable, Corpsey has eaten, but they spent more time outside of their den in the smaller encloser. Sorry I talk alot, I'm just riddled with anxiety 😂
JEM PXL_20210416_001716921.jpg ↖What Corpse Is in now(in the corner) ↗what they were in, just for reference

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I would rehouse your Grammostola pulchra, and if that is egg crate you are using it as a hide, I would throw it away when rehousing.

JEMega

Arachnopeon
I would rehouse your Grammostola pulchra, and if that is egg crate you are using it as a hide, I would throw it away when rehousing.
It's not an egg crate but it is made from the same material, it's for plants, I was thinking about cutting the container they came in in half and using that though, do you think that would be fine?

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's too tall, either add more sub or move into a smaller setup. I would switch the hide for something else, like a small, light decoration that you can find in a pet store, like a plastic log. If all else fails, just place a tiny flat piece of plastic, which allows it to hide under. Also, with slings, you're better off feeding prekilled until they reach 1-1.5". I think one or two feedings a week would be plenty. Once they reach 1.5", I would advise to switch to crickets. One or two per feeding. No more than that. As it grows, you can space out the feedings further and further. Be warned, although I can't speak from personal experience, G. pulchra (even as slings) can go on fasts that can last months. The most you can do is to keep trying feeding them until they accept food. Good luck !

Last edited:

JEMega

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much for your feedback, I think I'll move Corpserot back to the smaller encloser tomorrow night!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Wouldn’t beat yourself up over it, sometimes the lessons we learn are the hard way. The important thing is you know what can happen and just keep learning and growing.

A number of us have lost T’s various ways. You seem very open to critique which means you’ll be just fine and sure you will have many successful milestones with your current/future T’s.

jc55

Arachnoknight
Experience and practice will help to give you confidence down the road but relax and enjoy while you learn.:)

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
For the sake of all the dummies (me) could you use the latin names when referring to each one. Having to reference what name you assigned to what species my stupid brain gets mixed up.

JEMega

Arachnopeon
For sure! Sorry to
For the sake of all the dummies (me) could you use the latin names when referring to each one. Having to reference what name you assigned to what species my stupid brain gets mixed up.
Forsure! I'll remember that for future posts, thank you!

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
Doesnt matter how many tarantula groups and forums you join and take advice from, you WILL make mistakes, especially when starting out in the hobby. My two biggest mistakes were leaving live food in T's enclosures, bad news for molting animals especially! Like you I lost a couple of T's to rogue mealworms (also black crickets will munch on anything given a chance!). Second mistake was not leaving molting T's molt in peace. I used to panic, even though I knew it was a natural part of their growing process, Just couldnt help it, Im sure I lost a few animals due to this. Nearly ten years in the hobby and proud owner of nearly 30 species I still feel like Im learning more all the time. Hope you get as much enjoyment out of your animals as I have.