New on on me, Avic problem

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Soo turns out my arachnophobic girlfriend bought me an avic around 3in. or so from a petco a few days ago. I'm used to keeping my bugs fat but this one seems skinny. Its got a warm spot in the cage, proper humidity etc etc. but its doing something weird with its crickets.

It more less grabs/corals the crickets without puncturing them. Its fangs are intact and pointy and it can move them. It held a cricket in place for the first 24 hours without eating it, if the cricket would start to get away, it would hurriedly grab it back and coral it. I'm just trying to feed it up, is this so hard to ask? Been keeping t's for years this is a new one on me. Its abdomen does look dark so maybe premolt? Its just so dang skinny looking. It seems to be a step before emaciated.

I already tried smashing a cricket and gave it to the spider, but it put some web on it and abandoned it after a few hours. I just smashed it enough to bleed a little so it was still wiggling when i gave it. I'm guessing it would have more less bled to death.

Is it most likely in premolt and i'm worrying too much? The fact that it has interest in grabbing the cricket but dosent eat them bugs me.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looking at your post count I'm sure you'd have a good idea or not, although are you sure its not a MM? Just sounds like the usual MM behaviour.

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have the say it sounds MM aswell, everyone of them I have had do show simular behavior. If you could get a picture and post it folks may be able to help out better.
~Aaron

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not a MM, ill try to get a pic with my cellphone camera after school in a few hours. This spider is confuzing me, maybe its just not taking to the prey im trying to feed it.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Check the fang area for nematodes. You can put the animal in an ICU for 30 min, and they'll migrate to the mouth parts. It's a long shot, but a possibility and you'll want to know very quickly if it is infected.