New Nhandu Chromatus Enclosure! (Pics Included!)

jrh2132

Arachnopeon
So I've been in the hobby for a little over a year now and my Nhandu Chromatus sling has finally reached a decent size worthy of his/her forever adult enclosure. Here it is in all of its glory:
Overview.jpg
The base of the enclosure is the Exo Terra Mini-Wide (12 x 12 x 12) which I ordered off Amazon. On top of the enclosure I have a metal dome that I got cheap from Lowes which has a plant grow bulb in it (60 W). All the plants within the enclosure are live.

The plants I have within the enclosure are:
- Leather Leaf Nerve Plant (Fittonia 'Leather Leaf')
- Costa Farms "Bronze Branch Fern"
- Air Plant (Tillandsia)
-Venus Flytrap (Dionaea muscipula)
Venus Fly Trap.jpg
-Purple Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia purpurea)
Pitcher Plant.jpg

I know carnivorous plants require no contact with fertilizers so there are dividers down in the soil between them and the other plants so their water is not contaminated. Underneath a very superficial layer of Reptisoil the roots of the carnivorous plants are surrounded with sphagnum moss to provide ample drainage. Hopefully with a grow light these plants will thrive, but my expectations are not high.

And here is the star of the show!
N.C. Use (2).jpg
Thanks for taking time to look at my enclosure! This is my first post on Arachnoboards and I hope to be more active in the future. What do you guys think about my setup? Any advice/comments? Thanks again! :)

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
Looks pretty. You never know when the T will decide to dig up everything you worked so hard for. The enclosure is also a bit tall.

jrh2132

Arachnopeon
Looks pretty. You never know when the T will decide to dig up everything you worked so hard for. The enclosure is also a bit tall.
Yeah I should probably mention that this is my first time making an adult enclosure so it's definitely not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. As for the plants I will see how it goes. I'm an avid bonsai hobbyist so if the T decides to take up gardening I will wire them in bonsai-style or just switch to artificials. The plants are really just for my entertainment, especially the carnivorous plants. For the height it's a little over 2x his full diagonal body length which I thought would be okay, but if you think I should remove him again until his next molt or do something different with the soil then I will absolutely consider that! Thanks for the insight!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
No offence, but I think you should decide whether you want to keep the plants or the T properly. I just don't think it'll work together.

For example, afaik the venus fly trap likes it really wet, almost swampy, and needs a winter break in the cold. Obviously, that's not something you want for your Nhandu.
Those plants, in general, need way more moisture and lighting than your T and you could end up with conditions that might be even harmful to your T.

Also, those Exo Terras aren't suitable for terrestrial Ts as they have too much height, and because of the doors, you won't be able to counteract that. The mesh lid is another health risk as they can get stuck with their tarsal claws when they climb... and I'm inclined to say your T will climb with all the moisture around it.

Personally, I'd rehouse it in an appropriately sized box with enough substrate, so, there's no more than 1,5x its DLS from the substrate to the top to prevent falls and provide ample ventilation. I think you can keep parts of the sub slightly moist, but afaik Nhandus are good with drier conditions. Keep it simple and use those beautiful plants for animals that would appreciate more humid conditions or just for a nice plants-only terrarium. :)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
So there are fertilizers an additives in some of the soil, which the T will likely dig around and excavate? On top of having plants known for eating/digesting inverts (of course the T is too large to be eaten like a fly, but I'm concerned if there would be any ill effects of being housed in a small enclosed space with a carnivorous plant).

Looks incredibly pretty, sounds like a bad idea. There also appears to be far too much height to that enclosure to safely house your heavy bodied terrestrial T.

jrh2132

Arachnopeon
So there are fertilizers an additives in some of the soil, which the T will likely dig around and excavate? On top of having plants known for eating/digesting inverts (of course the T is too large to be eaten like a fly, but I'm concerned if there would be any ill effects of being housed in a small enclosed space with a carnivorous plant).

Looks incredibly pretty, sounds like a bad idea. There also appears to be far too much height to that enclosure to safely house your heavy bodied terrestrial T.
So no, not any chemical fertilizers or additives in the soil. I have a lot of plants so I actually make my own organic compost fertilizer. I'm a very artistic person so all of my slings have enclosures with small live plants in them that are sustained by my fertilizer. I've had them (all 8 slings) for over a year now and haven't had any problems so far with it. But that is just me.

As for the carnivorous plants being in there with the T I did do my research because I wanted to see if they were compatible and it seems like this is a source of contention even amongst the most seasoned hobbyists. I've come across a lot of threads on here dealing with this issue and people seem pretty split on it. The challenge I am hoping to overcome with them is their humidity requirements, which are a bit more than the T itself, as Nhandu Chromatus originates from Brazil, a region of high-ish humidity. Plants that are similar to the traps I find can thrive when they are misted directly and daily.

The height thing seems to be a re-occurring issue that keeps coming up so I will see if modifications to the tank are possible. I received this tank from my research PI at university for free after we concluded a recent study on scorpion venom so I am really not wanting to purchase another one. Maybe I will cut some aquarium glass to replace the front section. Cheers.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I've kept many planted vivariums for Dart frogs. Your set up is visually appealing but you're going to have some issues with the plants. Tillandsia are air plants much like bromeliads. They are not planted in the dirt but are epiphytes that grow attached to tree trunks or something similar. If you had a piece of wood you could attach it to using fiahing line or possibly thread you may see it sprout roots to attach itself to the wood. I'm not sure how much of a hazard the fishing line or thread would be to your T.
Tillandsia would need to be misted every few days. While they so not need fertilizer like a terrestrial plant they do take nutrients via the water you spray on them and through the air. They need to dry out and have good airflow around them between mistings.

The carnivorous plants thrive in a permanently damp and acidic soil. Meaning they would so being wet all the time. Not exactly perfect conditions for your T.
Just some thoughts.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
organic compost fertilizer
This one is a bit of a grey area. I'm assuming the soil isn't 100% compost? In any event, it doesn't seem many people have tested the 100% compost substrate. I will say that what I have done so far is not anywhere close to scientific, but I have used substrates with 50% compost, and three of them are still in it, and are doing fine. All that said though, I can't guarantee anything with this.

haven't had any problems so far with it.
There might not even be a problem but that also doesn't mean there isn't one.

a region of high-ish humidity.
Sure, but that region doesn't exist in a micro form. At least not very well replicated within a glass box. Or to put it another way, your Exo Terra isn't exactly their natural habitat. I've always heard that N. chromatus appreciates moist sub but I don't know if your plants would help bump that up to no bueno levels. That's something to keep an eye on anyways. My standpoint is that it adds a bunch of extra stuff to do/could lead to complications so fake plants for me it always be. Although people due love their dried sphagnum moss but I digress. However, I do not think it is impossible to achieve just a large hassle, and not something I'm going to go out of my way to figure out.

The height thing seems to be a re-occurring issue that keeps coming up so I will see if modifications to the tank are possible.
Since it's a mini wide, any modifications would be kind of fruitless, since you wouldn't be able to reduce the height sans adding more sub. You might be able to do that without changing the front doors, but then it'd block the front ventilation holes, sub would come out from the gaps between the glass, and then you'd only be able to open it from the top, and at that point adds in the question of would top only ventilation be enough with live plants in the mix. The thing about the height is due to a potential fall, as has been mentioned. It might not climb, that you see anyways, but there is always the chance it could, and it's something simple enough to work around so that such an event doesn't turn catastrophic, or at the very least, is much harder to achieve bad damage from a fall.

And don't forget about the lid. Mesh lids cause problems. They don't for some keepers, but every once in a while you see a post about a tarantula losing a leg, or something worse, because it got it's tarsal claw(s) stuck in the mesh.

so I am really not wanting to purchase another one.
It does not matter what you want. What matters is the safety and well-being of the wondrous creature you are taking care of. If you are hurting on funds then there are cheaper, typically just as clear, if not a little less so, enclosures. I came across rather blunt there but I feel it is important to emphasize that this is a creature that had no choice! It is dependent on you for survival and it's well being! Please do right by it by providing the best care you possibly can, including and beyond getting a better enclosure for it!

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alright, sorry I failed at this hobby. Back to bonsai it is.
You haven't failed at anything. It's your first adult setup, like you said, and everyone makes mistakes. Can't expect to get everything right on the first try.

It's also natural to combine hobbies like this. Just, in this case, the choice of plants may not be ideal. Something more suited to less moisture would be better, and specifically plants that are less likely to produce secretions that could be harmful. Carnivorous plants have more tricks than just digestive juices.

Also, as far as how humid natural conditions can be, microclimate is far more important than average climate. There are amphibians, toads and others, that live in the Mojave desert. They can survive in this extremely dry environment because they burrow underground to find a damp place to spend most of their time, coming up mostly when it rains. If someone were to set them up in a completely dry enclosure with sand as a substrate, they would die very quickly even though they live in a desert.

Just food for thought. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, and certainly don't give up a fascinating hobby over one.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The carnivorous plants thrive in a permanently damp and acidic soil. Meaning they would so being wet all the time. Not exactly perfect conditions for your T.
Just some thoughts.
You would have thought someone into plants would have taken the time to realize the ridiculous idea of putting carn. plants in with Ts

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice enclosure. Frontopend terrariums are not ideal for a terrestrial, but good work

Wolfheart92

Arachnopeon
Just an idea parthos and live moss would have been my route on the live plants. Granted from my small knowledge of Ts in general they don't really require plants, granted some might look nice in a tank. A ten gallon tank with just a touch of live plants would work out for it just as easy. As I said before I have less experience than most under two years. Best of luck, great tank.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Carnivorous plants need a swamp to survive, that isn't conducive to tarantula health. Looks really cool though.
Personally I set my 2 Nhandus up as fossorial and they both dug cool burrows

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Carnivorous plants need a swamp to survive, that isn't conducive to tarantula health.
It's true that many carnivorous plants, like Venus fly traps, need very moist environments to survive. Not all carnivorous plants do though. There are actually carnivorous succulents, specifically in the genus Pinguicula. I definitely would NOT recommend adding them to any invert enclosures though. Even if the invert in question is too large for the plant to digest, the sticky secretions could lead to lost limbs and such. Just wanted to clarify that some carnivorous plants prefer arid conditions.

T Freak

Arachnopeon
So no, not any chemical fertilizers or additives in the soil. I have a lot of plants so I actually make my own organic compost fertilizer. I'm a very artistic person so all of my slings have enclosures with small live plants in them that are sustained by my fertilizer. I've had them (all 8 slings) for over a year now and haven't had any problems so far with it. But that is just me.

As for the carnivorous plants being in there with the T I did do my research because I wanted to see if they were compatible and it seems like this is a source of contention even amongst the most seasoned hobbyists. I've come across a lot of threads on here dealing with this issue and people seem pretty split on it. The challenge I am hoping to overcome with them is their humidity requirements, which are a bit more than the T itself, as Nhandu Chromatus originates from Brazil, a region of high-ish humidity. Plants that are similar to the traps I find can thrive when they are misted directly and daily.

The height thing seems to be a re-occurring issue that keeps coming up so I will see if modifications to the tank are possible. I received this tank from my research PI at university for free after we concluded a recent study on scorpion venom so I am really not wanting to purchase another one. Maybe I will cut some aquarium glass to replace the front section. Cheers.
honestly bub that tank should be fine just add ur substrate as far up to the doors as u can and then ramp it up toward the back making it deeper as u go and there’s a store on Reddit that makes 3d printed replacement tops for these that replaces the screen too or u can do it urself with some plexiglass some silicone and a drill or soldering iron to make holes for vent. Cheers. Nice setup.