New Millipede Parent - Worried About Health

EnbyCryptic

Arachnopeon
Hello all! First time poster and first time millipede parent.
I recently got 3 millipedes (Narceus americanus) from a professor at my school. I have them in a plastic terrarium (maybe a 10 gal?) with dirt substrate, many dead leaves, and a water dish with a sponge in it. I'm sure i'll have to rework the terrarium a bit, but I've only had them a week and wanna not rush anything now that its colder and harder to collect dirt and leaves.

Since I am a new millipede owner I am a little concerned about the health of one of the millipedes I received. When I first got her(?) she was a lot slower than the other two, but also was bigger and perhaps older. She has continued to be a lot slower and she has a weak curl (she curls kinda weird as well and she is easy to uncurl). She also tends to curl above ground and doesn't move for really long lengths of time.

I think the weirdest thing I have seen her do is try to walk over herself and subsequently rolls her self over a little. I haven't seen the others do this actions before and its a little concerning.

If anyone has any suggestions or if I'm over reacting about them and its all good, let me know :D

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Millipedes often groom themselves in the fashion that you just described, although being able to uncurl them without resistance is not a good sign.

What kind of dirt are you offering them? Do you have any rotting wood in the enclosure?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

EnbyCryptic

Arachnopeon
Ooh the cleaning part makes a ton of sense thanks!

I have attached pictures of the enclosure I have for them (I also have a ton of leaves and thing that I took out for now)

I got them from a professor, so I assume he got the dirt from his backyard. There aren't any big pieces of rotting wood, just tiny like wood chips sizes.
IMG_20191211_185222491.jpg IMG_20191211_185051070.jpg

EnbyCryptic

Arachnopeon
UPDATE:
The milipede that I was concerned about ended dying in the last few days, so I think that it just was her time. I have given her as good a send of as I can still living in the dorms at school. My other two milipedes have been doing well.

Thank you for the help before :)

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Sorry to hear that. I hope the others thrive for you though!

Your soil looks a little coarse there. How much is actually whole leaves and how much is a base (compost, coco fiber, soil, rotting wood, etc.)?

Thanks,

Arthroverts