Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

New Millipede Parent - Worried About Health

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by EnbyCryptic, Dec 10, 2019.

1. EnbyCryptic

EnbyCryptic Arachnopeon

USA
    Advertisement
    Hello all! First time poster and first time millipede parent.
    I recently got 3 millipedes (Narceus americanus) from a professor at my school. I have them in a plastic terrarium (maybe a 10 gal?) with dirt substrate, many dead leaves, and a water dish with a sponge in it. I'm sure i'll have to rework the terrarium a bit, but I've only had them a week and wanna not rush anything now that its colder and harder to collect dirt and leaves.

Since I am a new millipede owner I am a little concerned about the health of one of the millipedes I received. When I first got her(?) she was a lot slower than the other two, but also was bigger and perhaps older. She has continued to be a lot slower and she has a weak curl (she curls kinda weird as well and she is easy to uncurl). She also tends to curl above ground and doesn't move for really long lengths of time.

I think the weirdest thing I have seen her do is try to walk over herself and subsequently rolls her self over a little. I haven't seen the others do this actions before and its a little concerning.

If anyone has any suggestions or if I'm over reacting about them and its all good, let me know :D

2. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoprince Active Member

Millipedes often groom themselves in the fashion that you just described, although being able to uncurl them without resistance is not a good sign.

What kind of dirt are you offering them? Do you have any rotting wood in the enclosure?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

3. EnbyCryptic

EnbyCryptic Arachnopeon

USA
    Ooh the cleaning part makes a ton of sense thanks!

I have attached pictures of the enclosure I have for them (I also have a ton of leaves and thing that I took out for now)

I got them from a professor, so I assume he got the dirt from his backyard. There aren't any big pieces of rotting wood, just tiny like wood chips sizes.
    IMG_20191211_185222491.jpg IMG_20191211_185051070.jpg

4. EnbyCryptic

EnbyCryptic Arachnopeon

USA
    UPDATE:
    The milipede that I was concerned about ended dying in the last few days, so I think that it just was her time. I have given her as good a send of as I can still living in the dorms at school. My other two milipedes have been doing well.

Thank you for the help before :)

5. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoprince Active Member

Sorry to hear that. I hope the others thrive for you though!

Your soil looks a little coarse there. How much is actually whole leaves and how much is a base (compost, coco fiber, soil, rotting wood, etc.)?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.