New Millipede Babies

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not necessary and I've read that the brown sugar supplement can cause a springtail explosion. I used it every week or so anyway when the plings were very young, just to make sure they got enough food.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not necessary and I've read that the brown sugar supplement can cause a springtail explosion. I used it every week or so anyway when the plings were very young, just to make sure they got enough food.
I may still do this but I have many food options near them. It is a small enclosure. Orin says they are hardy as plings. I believe he is the only one that has had babies in the U.S. I think ours are from him. Have we had this discussion before? ; ) If anyone else has had success with getting this species to reproduce in captivity please let me know. Thanks.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think we figured that ours are siblings. I got mine from Bugsincyberspace, but for all I know he got them from Orin.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
If you look at your millipede book you can figure out how many generations yours are removed from wild stock, the last one in the book (of course the new guys would be the generation after that).

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you look at your millipede book you can figure out how many generations yours are removed from wild stock, the last one in the book (of course the new guys would be the generation after that).
OK! So ours are from you. Cavedweller has one adult and I have 3 adults and some plings. Do you have any left Orin or did you sell all of yours? Anybody in the U.S. got any? Anybody in Europe? I'm just trying to figure out how rare they are.

Msh

Arachnosquire
Congratulations on the babies I wonder how many will turn up

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
OK! So ours are from you. Cavedweller has one adult and I have 3 adults and some plings. Do you have any left Orin or did you sell all of yours? Anybody in the U.S. got any? Anybody in Europe? I'm just trying to figure out how rare they are.
These are likely all that's left from the old imports. People in Europe can probably get the species from Tanz. importers but certainly none of them can acquire 4-5th generation captive bred.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These are likely all that's left from the old imports. People in Europe can probably get the species from Tanz. importers but certainly none of them can acquire 4-5th generation captive bred.
Thanks for the info, Orin. So Cavedweller and I currently have the only Giant Glossy Black Pinkleg Millipede (Dendrostreptus macracanthus) in the U.S. If anyone else has any and you are in the U.S. please post and let us know. It would be good for establishing greater availability in the U.S.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hahaha wow I feel even luckier that I got my hands on one now! This is such a wonderful species and I really hope it can become more available in the US in the next decade or so. I guess all we can do is hope they breed lots.

Msh

Arachnosquire
That's pretty cool that you guys are keeping them going. Are male millipedes ever loaned out for breeding?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hahaha wow I feel even luckier that I got my hands on one now! This is such a wonderful species and I really hope it can become more available in the US in the next decade or so. I guess all we can do is hope they breed lots.
Yes! This is cool. : )

---------- Post added 05-25-2013 at 09:44 PM ----------

That's pretty cool that you guys are keeping them going. Are male millipedes ever loaned out for breeding?
That's a great question. : )

I have one female and two males. Cavedweller has one male (I believe) so I do not believe there is a need at this point. I would imagine they loan out males for breeding (like Ts) but I am not aware of anyone that has done it. Some of the bigger breeders (Orin and Peter) may know and hopefully they will chime in. Thanks for the question.

Msh

Arachnosquire
No problem I assumed they would be as millipedes don't pose the same risk of harming the male as a tarantula or centipede but I don't think I've read anything about millipede breeding loans before

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I've got one male. I've never seen anything on breeding loans either. Since males can breed for years, unlike Ts, I would imagine it's unnecessary.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I currently have a few millipede species I am trying to get in culture. If I had all of the remaining mature population be females, I would consider putting up a post to see if anyone wants to mail me their male. We could then do a 50/50 split. I always seem to get at least one male and one female. Soon after I get babies. This has always been the case except for AGB.