New Millipede Babies

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I saw one Giant Glossy Black Pinkleg Millipede (Dendrostreptus macracanthus) baby on the substrate surface. It was about .75 inches long. :biggrin:

Hey Cavedweller and 3skulls...:biggrin:!!

Last edited:

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sweet! Congrats :)
Thanks!! I am excited to see how many there are. :biggrin:

---------- Post added 05-15-2013 at 05:52 PM ----------

I just checked and saw 3. This is very cool. This species is so beautiful.

3skulls

Arachnobaron
What do you mean by trains?
I just found tons of baby Euryurus leachii :)

3skulls

Arachnobaron
Ah ok. :) haven't heard that.

When I first looked in, I thought it was fruit fly maggots. Then I took a closer look. They were making their way down from a bill pile of frass. I'm guessing they laid their eggs in with it.

Let me know if you want some for your collection. I can try and find some adults or see of these little ones make it.

They can put off a pretty good stink :p

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah ok. :) haven't heard that.

When I first looked in, I thought it was fruit fly maggots. Then I took a closer look. They were making their way down from a bill pile of frass. I'm guessing they laid their eggs in with it.

Let me know if you want some for your collection. I can try and find some adults or see of these little ones make it.

They can put off a pretty good stink :p
Thanks. They release a stinky chemical? :eek:

3skulls

Arachnobaron
Haha yeah if you mess with them it can be pretty strong. It's like a sharp smell, I can't explain it. :)

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Haha yeah if you mess with them it can be pretty strong. It's like a sharp smell, I can't explain it. :)
And it can give you a hell of a headache if you accidentally take a big wiff of it. Caught one the other day and I brought it home so I could look it up online and see what it is(I'm very new to the invert hobby) and when I got back and opened up the catch cup I smelled something funny and stupidly inhaled deeply, instant headache

It's some form of cyanide they produce correct?

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Flat millipedes (Polydesmida spp.) produce a defensive secretion containing hydrogen cyanide and benzaldehyde.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! I did not know that this species chemical defense was so volatile (i.e., will vaporize).

---------- Post added 05-16-2013 at 12:16 PM ----------

And it can give you a hell of a headache if you accidentally take a big wiff of it. Caught one the other day and I brought it home so I could look it up online and see what it is(I'm very new to the invert hobby) and when I got back and opened up the catch cup I smelled something funny and stupidly inhaled deeply, instant headache

It's some form of cyanide they produce correct?

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
Bummer...but good to know. : )

---------- Post added 05-16-2013 at 12:20 PM ----------

Flat millipedes (Polydesmida spp.) produce a defensive secretion containing hydrogen cyanide and benzaldehyde.
They must have an added chemical component that increases volatility. My species (not trains) will release but I have never had a strong vapor associated with it unless I stick my nose really close to the chemical. I know these chemicals are toxic but is there any research on if they are hallucinogenic or not...my fellow millipede lickers...? ; )

3skulls

Arachnobaron
Haha maybe put a bunch in a bag and huff them :p

Went out looking today and all of my favorite spots have been taken over by ants. :/

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha maybe put a bunch in a bag and huff them :p

Went out looking today and all of my favorite spots have been taken over by ants. :/
lol..." Hey! That guys acting like he just huffed a bunch of millipedes." lol...

bummer about the ants. The don't play well with the other bugs...

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome! That's a big pling! Hopefully you'll find more. Are you gonna supplement the substrate with sugarwater or just leave them as is?