new malaysian earth tigers!!!

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hey everyone just got 3 malaysian earth tiger slings(.75''), can anyone give me some pointers on these guy? i know they rock when they get there colors and get big, need info on temps., humidty, etc.. whatever you got that'll help, thanks ahead of time everyone--Jeff

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's a caresheet on petbugs.com. I did ask John Hoke about them. He said they needed a burrow or hide, they weren't as secretive as other Asian species, and his adult female (7" when he sold it) was not aggressive.

I've also heard that wild caught imports can be dicey due to internal parasites. Allegedly, there's a breeder in Malaysia that raises adult females, kills and mounts them, and sells them to tourists. He doesn't capture wild specimens since they are not in perfect shape, missing a leg for example. I'm not that happy about the killing part but he doesn't destroy wild populations. I think this also shows that this species must be the most attractive and impressive T in that part of the world.

This is a very cool species. I am really envious.

Karen N.

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Jeff,
I'm keeping a C. thorelli sling, too. people said they are arboreal but they are not. mine used the plastic plant that I've provided for her and made a home on the ground...I keep mine moist and temperature around 75-80 degrees... they don't burrow either..

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

thanks, i looked at the care sheet on pet bugs was cool, i have them in the vials that they came in right now, 3/25 of the way full of good soil, i also made preburrows in all of them with a pencil and misted the sides lighty so they could have drink if needed, gonna get them some piheads tommorw, and i must say these are pretty active little guys, thanks for the advice and help--Jeff

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thorelli

Hi

I have an 2 inch ( after 1:st molt now) thorelli and s/he has made a small burrow inside a small pot that I have turned over and it takes big crickets now without problem.
Very active, in my case late night/early morning, when it moves all over the cage.

I keep it misting every day on the sides of the cage and just a casual mist over the substrate now and then.

I have had the thorelli for over 2 months now and so far so good:D

Kenny

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Jeff,
Sounds like you have 'em set up right.
They will use the tunnels you made with your pencil, and over time will make a nice chamber inside with a nice funnel of web and substrate at the entrance. They are moderate growers, not fast, but not slow.
Keep them moist, but not to the point where it's wet.
Although they will use existing burrows and modify them accordingly, they are very opportunistic in choosing a place to live. I have some that build up and some that build under. They look like they are built for arboreal life (large scopulae), but are beefy enough to be terrestrial.
I'm my experience they are kinda shy, bolting for their safe zone when bothered. Get one in the open though, that has some size, and they will definitely open their arms for a "hug". They don't screw around.
They will take food items that are bigger than pinheads. They're not shy about it.
Pic is the female that gave me the first eggsac.
later,
john

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

wow that is super impressive, very awesome!!, okay great i'll stick to your advice on them, so far 2 have used the pre-burrows the other is kinda chillin and even produced a little bit of web on th side(was really suprised to see a sling doing this), i can easily say that these are gonna be the highlight and prizes in my collection, can't wait till i get to feed these guy and see em get fat, i'm alredy in love with them, and i have to say again these are real active little slings , that pic of the mothr though she looks real awesome can't wait till these gain some colors, thanks john--Jeff=D

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lariz, about this species, will it be seen more than a Haplopelma?

Is it as flighty as a Haplopelma. My new Hap. sling is incredibly fast

What about its climbing ablility? The caresheet at petbugs lists them as as arborial. How would their climbing/speed measure up to a Psalamapoes?

Anything else you would like to add?

Big DRagonfly

Dasgre0g

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by LaRiz
Jeff,
Sounds like you have 'em set up right.
They will use the tunnels you made with your pencil, and over time will make a nice chamber inside with a nice funnel of web and substrate at the entrance. They are moderate growers, not fast, but not slow.
Keep them moist, but not to the point where it's wet.
Although they will use existing burrows and modify them accordingly, they are very opportunistic in choosing a place to live. I have some that build up and some that build under. They look like they are built for arboreal life (large scopulae), but are beefy enough to be terrestrial.
I'm my experience they are kinda shy, bolting for their safe zone when bothered. Get one in the open though, that has some size, and they will definitely open their arms for a "hug". They don't screw around.
They will take food items that are bigger than pinheads. They're not shy about it.
later,
john

This thread is John's excuse to show off his beautiful spiders ;)

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Dasgre0g

This thread is John's excuse to show off his beautiful spiders ;)
John NEEDS no excuse to show off spiders that beautiful!

Joy

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You just keep posting those gorgeous pics, John.
I have 3 Malaysians, my first one is 2" I call her Mercedes. She is a trip, We just moved her into a bigger cage and she played possom and flipped over and stayed that way until a finger went in and then she flipped back real fast. It was quite a rush! She is even showing the stripes on her abdomen already. We look forward to her getting big. Think she will be our handful!!!!!! The newest one I call Ingrid lets us touch her, of course I know that won't last long. All 3 of mine so far have made their own burrows under their substrate.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Jeff,

later,
john

John,
WOW! I thought they were a drabbish color! GORGEOUS! Btw, I'm a "wussy" kind of keeper. (Brachys & Grammostolas, mostly) Are these openly aggressive? Or, just nervous? I guess I'm looking for a comparison to say, a blondi. (Which I have)

Peace,
Gillian