New little one!

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Mine were very tiny when I got them so it took them a little time to really set up a full burrow. Once they did that I had no problem with them.

Unlike the tiny Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati sling "Roy" who just sat on the side of the cup unless he was making a break for freedom. He too finally molted then settled to make a nice burrow like the rest.
I can already tell I'm going to feel horrible when I have to rehouse this one - it's doing such a great job decorating :(

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I can already tell I'm going to feel horrible when I have to rehouse this one - it's doing such a great job decorating :(
Yeah, mine have webbed and made nice little burrows and tunnels. I do hate to rehouse them as they did work really hard on their homes. I think they'll like the new space though and I'm going to go all in on the bush setup with deep substrate. That should let them web and burrow till they are content. This will be the last house change they get unless something goes wrong and I have to rehouse.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I am more and more fascinated with these Ts every second. Just spent the last hour reading through all the threads on here relating to the recessive gold gene and I've gotta say, I think these will be my first breeding project. It also doesn't look like they produce large sacs so the number of babies should be manageable

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I am more and more fascinated with these Ts every second. Just spent the last hour reading through all the threads on here relating to the recessive gold gene and I've gotta say, I think these will be my first breeding project. It also doesn't look like they produce large sacs so the number of babies should be manageable
I think CB had 100 with 25 being golds which is what you would expect from both parents having the recessive trait. If only one parent has the recessive trait you'll only get olives. :) They do seem pretty cool I'll have to see what mine turn out to be and maybe look at breeding some.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I think CB had 100 with 25 being golds which is what you would expect from both parents having the recessive trait. If only one parent has the recessive trait you'll only get olives. :) They do seem pretty cool I'll have to see what mine turn out to be and maybe look at breeding some.
Yeah if this is a female I'm definitely going to pick up a gold male and an olive male and see what happens. From what I've read, if both parents are gold then 100% of the offspring will, in theory, be gold. The breeding reports are very positive as well!

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When I rehoused mine, I just pulled out the whole ball of web/substrate/leaves (with spider sitting on top, didn't even try to run). I put that whole ball into the new enclosure. He/she just started expanding the web into the new space.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
When I rehoused mine, I just pulled out the whole ball of web/substrate/leaves (with spider sitting on top, didn't even try to run). I put that whole ball into the new enclosure. He/she just started expanding the web into the new space.
That's a good idea though it wont likely work for me. Mine Ts have tunneled down to the bottom of the enclosure and there is a lot of lose sub that would fall out. I could likely keep the webbing but it would be all tangled up or flattened where I tore it lose from the wall getting it out. Might give them a good start out point though.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I took the web mat out of its vial and put it in the new enclosure...but that "removal of everything in a clump" method is what I'll be attempting when I rehouse the E. cyanognathus so we'll see how it works!

aphono

Arachnobaron
edit- never mind saw you covered this in a later response. But appreciate the info on gold being a recessive gene!

Good to know it's a recessive. Are you thinking of breeding golds or a combination of olives and golds? An olive carrying gold bred with a gold would give half olive half gold offspring.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
You guys are all a bunch of enablers, and now I have to bump Neoholothele incei to the top of my want list. :p

At least it doesn't take up much space?

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Because the gold is a recessive gene. Even breeding gold w gold will still give more green then golds.
trying to remember my grade 10 biology now,,,, wow that was a long time ago

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Ive been following this for a bit just out of curiosity and while I'm no genealogist, i remember this being a good to calculate the odds of things reproducing with dominant/recessive traits.
gg = 100% recessive which is the only way itll show.
Og = 50% recessive which wont show gold but will have a higher chance of producing gg.
The only way youll breed gg is with both partners being at least 50/50. Youve got a 100%, so you just need a 50/50 or another hundred. 50/50s could be acquired through breeding with an OO. Hope this is useful! Ironically the only notebook i could find was from highschool biology!

Attachments

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
This morning it was laying on its side in the burrow (which is twice the size it was last night when I went to bed) grooming. Literally stretched out on its side scratching its tummy.
I'm so in love.
I've witnessed this behavior from my A. avic juvie, Gomez. He'll lie on his side on top of his cork bark, rubbing all over his tummy after a meal. Its adorable! :happy:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I'll post links to the threads I found on the breeding of these guys because it's really interesting (hence me being instantly obsessed).
I'm 90% positive gold and gold yield 100% gold. Not that both parents have the recessive trait whether it's showing or not, but if both parents are actually gold.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'll post links to the threads I found on the breeding of these guys because it's really interesting (hence me being instantly obsessed).
I'm 90% positive gold and gold yield 100% gold. Not that both parents have the recessive trait whether it's showing or not, but if both parents are actually gold.
Right, as long as it's a single gene that controls the Olive/Gold color then you are correct. If there are more than one gene involved then you end up like we do with eye color and two blue eyed people can end up with non blue eyed kids.

I've not personally seen a gold gold pairing but I think it will turn out all gold. I'm sure someone has tried it before so it'd be nice to have a breeding report on how it went and then we would know.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
When my little one grows up, if I have a successful breeding, I will make sure to put all information on here :D:angelic:

Thanks for that article, that was a good read!