New lid for my A. hentzi enclosure

Jake94

Arachnopeon
Finally got this cut to the right size. Is the ventilation okay? Glass terrarium, so no holes on the sides. The red is half a coffee can for her to hide in, in case the sub at the bottom of the log is too humid. It's just a mixture of about 50% coco fiber, 25% peat moss and top soil. Before I cut the top, I had her in a temporary enclosure with just her cork bark log on top of an old pair of boxers, with a water dish and a fake plant, no substrate. She stayed in the cork bark for like 3 days in that enclosure, and now that I've moved her back in to this one she's acting like she wants to get out. Just constantly doing laps around the edge, pushing her toes and sometimes even a fang up through the holes. I'm not worried about her getting out, but I hate to think she might be trying to get away from something. I've posted this before but I thought maybe the pictures of my new acrylic lid would warrant me sharing my worries again. haha. Here's the album :

http://imgur.com/gallery/W5OrX

Her name's Charlotte.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'd add at least two more rows of ventilation holes. Never was too big of a fan of holes being on the lids though.

Jake94

Arachnopeon
Now that &I'm watching her some more, &I think maybe she is just exploring, and &I was underestimating the stress of moving enclosures. I know that crickets have survived in there for over 24 hours, so I'll wait a couple days and keep trying to feed her and see if she gets comfortable.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Now that &I'm watching her some more, &I think maybe she is just exploring, and &I was underestimating the stress of moving enclosures. I know that crickets have survived in there for over 24 hours, so I'll wait a couple days and keep trying to feed her and see if she gets comfortable.
Take the crickets out. They can bite, and even eat, your tarantula. Never leave live prey items in the enclosure unattended.

Jake94

Arachnopeon
Okay I'll do that. Yeah from what I've read they like it "bone dry" anyway. I do mostly side ventilation for my pink toe, and wouldn't want to put anything but a dry terrestrial in this glass terrarium.

Jake94

Arachnopeon
Take the crickets out. They can bite, and even eat, your tarantula. Never leave live prey items in the enclosure unattended.
Oh haha, with the crickets I just meant I had left them in there to test the substrate while I was waiting to be able to get my new lid fit. But I usually do leave them in with her over night anyway, and then take them out in the morning if she didn't eat them. She doesn't normally eat them straight away.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Finally got this cut to the right size. Is the ventilation okay? Glass terrarium, so no holes on the sides. The red is half a coffee can for her to hide in, in case the sub at the bottom of the log is too humid. It's just a mixture of about 50% coco fiber, 25% peat moss and top soil. Before I cut the top, I had her in a temporary enclosure with just her cork bark log on top of an old pair of boxers, with a water dish and a fake plant, no substrate. She stayed in the cork bark for like 3 days in that enclosure, and now that I've moved her back in to this one she's acting like she wants to get out. Just constantly doing laps around the edge, pushing her toes and sometimes even a fang up through the holes. I'm not worried about her getting out, but I hate to think she might be trying to get away from something. I've posted this before but I thought maybe the pictures of my new acrylic lid would warrant me sharing my worries again. haha. Here's the album :

http://imgur.com/gallery/W5OrX

Her name's Charlotte.
The amount of ventilation is fine. No need to add more. Ts have an amazingly LOW O2 consumption rate. I've kept a NW terrestrial with even less ventilation than that w/no issue.

I WOULD however be concerned she/he could lift up that lid enough to escape. Fix that IMO. I never underestimate a determined T.

A T is quite capable of defending itself against a few crickets. I've been leaving 2-3 crickets in my Ts containers for 24 hrs unattended for decades, never an issue. If they truly get annoyed a T can do 2 things: attack the cricket, or go vertical and horizontal upside down if necessary.

During a molt, a no-no of course. But IME a healthy T has nothing to worry about from a couple crix that it would normally eat.

Jake94

Arachnopeon
The amount of ventilation is fine. No need to add more. Ts have an amazingly LOW O2 consumption rate. I've kept a NW terrestrial with even less ventilation than that w/no issue.

I WOULD however be concerned she/he could lift up that lid enough to escape. Fix that IMO. I never underestimate a determined T.

A T is quite capable of defending itself against a few crickets. I've been leaving 2-3 crickets in my Ts containers for 24 hrs unattended for decades, never an issue. If they truly get annoyed a T can do 2 things: attack the cricket, or go vertical and horizontal upside down if necessary.

During a molt, a no-no of course. But IME a healthy T has nothing to worry about from a couple crix that it would normally eat.
Thanks! I ended up drilling the extra holes last night, but I think she'll be fine either way. I cut a circle portion out of the original screen top for the knob to fit through, and am using it to cover the plexi-glass. Otherwise she'd definitely be able to escape.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Need more vent holes. Other than that... Thumbs up!!