New Laisodora parahybana

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got this little cirtter today from a local petstore after they ordered it in for me. Any suggestions as to how I should keep it? It is a year old. It has the best appetite as well.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is the meanest spider i have. I put a few mealworms in and she went crazy and devoured them so quick and they are big mealworms. SHe is only tiny.

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! Congrats on the new L. p.
Those guys can get HUGE when full grown. The local bug pavillion here has an adult female with a leg span of at LEAST 9"! She's real sweet too. Me and my oldest son held her and she's easily the biggest T either of us have had in our hands!!!
Good luck with your new bug!

Atrax

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have my doubts that I will ever try holding this thing. She is feisty. But, that is how I like them.

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol! You're certainly the best judge of that! We have a small (about 3") L. sp. that we're going to try to get used to handling if possible. After holding the big girl at the pavillion, we really want ours to be as docile as that one was by the time it gets as big.

Oh, the reason I say Lasiodora sp. is because that's exactly what we received it as. We're thinking it's either difficillis or parahybana. We'll have a better idea when it molts again I think.

Atrax

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on your new spider!
you can look forward to lots of molts in a short time and a stunning growth rate! Got mine as a teeny sling in april and has had 4 molts so far (and one coming in the next week). I laid the molts together and it's almost impossible to believe how much bigger they get between molts! It's my favourite spider.
Enjoy,
Joost

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is exactly what i like fast growth is great. Mine isnt that big at all i am sure it was born in the last year. i am not good at gauging that. How much of a difference after four molts?

Last edited:

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey JB,

Ok, this took some calculating again, because in Holland we measure in cm, but I've converted it for you, I usually see numbers as 1/2 inch or something, but I'll give the exact numbers (1 cm= 0,39 inch)

the molts are measured here:
02-05-2002: 0,7 inch
03-06-2002: 1,2 inch
03-07-2002: 2,1 inch
06-08-2002: 2,7 inch

I also attached a scan of the molts (I've actually scanned the molts themselves, not a picture...). On the top you can see the molts of the parahybana compared to a b. smithi on the bottom (check the difference in the dates and the growth...! :D )
Enjoy your spider!
greetz,
Joost

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
[We have a small (about 3") L. sp. that we're going to try to get used to handling if possible. After holding the big girl at the pavillion, we really want ours to be as docile as that one was by the time it gets as big.

I wouldn't dare handling my little parahybana! at the slightest disturbance he kicks hairs, and he's not shy about baring his fangs to me! but maybe, as for some species, docility comes with age.
good luck!
Joost

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have had my little one for about a week now..she is about 1.25" and i have held her 2 or 3 times...she is SO sweet! but she is a fast little bugger... i am going to try and go for the DOCILE GIANT insted of ;P i cant wait till she molts...how long should that be? she is about to have a birthday...she was born on September 11, 2001...kinda spooky huh?!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have one that is over 6" now, and I occasionally hold her (I think she's a she). She is quite nervous, but will settle down after a bit of flicking. However, her hairs itch SO bad, that I usually have to take a shower after handling her! She's a neat spider though, hopefully she'll get huge!

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love mine, too. It's just a tiny thing right now, but growing steadily. Hard to tell what the temperament will turn out like at this point. I have three more on order that will be here Tuesday! Yay!