New keepers

Table

Arachnosquire
I've got some friends who saw my Ts on FB, and now they want to get into the hobby themselfs. My question is, what should I tell them/where should I send them? I don't want to be too vague and have them stumble on some bad husbandry advice. I'm trying to help them as much as I can, but they work 3rd and I work 1st.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Send them here so they can do some investigating and decide if this hobby is something they'd like to pursue. Maybe recommend some threads on best beginner species and basic husbandry.

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
I agree with spidey. If they'd rather watch than read, the only "universally" (not meant as a blanket statement, just from what I've seen) accepted YouTube channel is Tom's Big Spiders.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I've got some friends who saw my Ts on FB, and now they want to get into the hobby themselfs. My question is, what should I tell them/where should I send them? I don't want to be too vague and have them stumble on some bad husbandry advice. I'm trying to help them as much as I can, but they work 3rd and I work 1st.
Of course send them here for good info.
Why don't you have them over to your house and show them your collection? Seeing live T's and learning first hand from another keeper is the best way of learning. Way better than YouTube videos or any forum, no matter how good that forum is (no offense meant AB).

Table

Arachnosquire
I'll definitely bring them over to observe some feeding/maintenance.
The issue now is, I'm also helping them look for good beginner Ts, is there a good thread for this someone can link?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I just had a similiar thhing hhappen at work one of the clients expressed interest in keeping arachnids; I wrote down a piece of paper with arachnoboards.com on it and told them to make an account, told them to stay away from google, wrote down all the beginner genera, explained whhat thhe scientific names are and how they are structured and what they mean, I scrolled throgh AB through genus galleries showing differences between spp and terrestrial, arboreal, and fossorial. Basically just shhare with them your fascination and show them a little bit about AB, itll be up to them if they use what you give them or not

Table

Arachnosquire
I'm confident that they will do there reasurch as they keep alot of weird pets. I'm not ure if they'd made an account yet, I should ask.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
There’s a lot of variables that go into it. The way I started was watching youtube compiling a list of things I wanted and didn’t want in a tarantula and then the list became shorter and shorter as I bounced between YouTube and online research which yielded conflicting info in many cases, but also validated info. The resources weren’t to specifically look at husbandry techniques, mostly visual images and what others experienced or how the animal seemed to behave and confirm if the species I was interested was a good fit for me.

1. nw or ow
  2. fossorial, terrestrial, arboreal
  3. docile, defensive, didn’t matter
  4. color
  5. lifespan
  6. max size
  7. growth rate
  8. dry or moist environment
  9. handleability (j/k)
  10. etc.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Here's my handleability scale 0 (Don't ever handle this T) threw 1 (you probably shouldn't handle this T)
Should have probably been number one on the list...if the answer was yes to handling stop and do not proceed. 🤣

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
Tom's Big Spiders. Some of his beginner videos on Ts and husbandry would be a good start. I 'researched' in this way for a year before getting my first T. Also partly because my wife is arachnophobic too. Patience is key.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I just had a similiar thhing hhappen at work one of the clients expressed interest in keeping arachnids; I wrote down a piece of paper with arachnoboards.com on it and told them to make an account, told them to stay away from google, wrote down all the beginner genera, explained whhat thhe scientific names are and how they are structured and what they mean, I scrolled throgh AB through genus galleries showing differences between spp and terrestrial, arboreal, and fossorial. Basically just shhare with them your fascination and show them a little bit about AB, itll be up to them if they use what you give them or not
People still write notes..on paper?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Send them here, Send them to Tom Moran (if they want videos)
Don't send them anywhere else

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don’t tell them a thing.

Or tell them everything including AB

Why are you asking us what to do about your friends???

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Send them over to Amazon.com to buy a copy of "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" by Schultz and Schultz and a copy of "Tarantulas and Other Arachnids" by Samuel Marshall. If they don't have the patience to read through a couple of books, then they don't have the patience for keeping tarantulas. Simple as that.

I will always advise people new to tarantula keeping to stay off of the internet until they complete those two books. One needs a good condensed overview of everything tarantula before trying to piece everything together from all of the tid bits of contradictory information on the world wide web.