New keeper preparing for a Phiddipus Regius with glass terrarium.

Icey51115

Arachnopeon
Hello Arachnoboards! I have never kept a spider before but they have been my favorite animal since I was 12. I am planning on becoming a Phiddipus Regius owner - this will be my first spider and I am very excited.

I only want the best for my new spider, so I wanted to ask for some advice.

I saw a youtube video by @angelphids on instagram about converting this glass terrarium for jumping spider use. The terrarium is 6.5x6.5x9.8 inches, which is a size sweet spot according to this guide. I also like that the door doesn't reach the top or bottom, so that neither nesting spider or substrate are disturbed by me opening it, and I don't need to take a whole top off to access the inside. In the video, the keeper removed one panel and replaced it with mesh. Since this reddit guide advises against mesh in order for better humidity control, I was planning on replacing 1-2 panels with plexiglass and drilling holes for ventilation. However, some reviews mention that since the terrarium comes with slight gaps between the panes, there is already airflow, and they can even be widened slightly for better airflow.

I'm now wondering if I should just seal the gaps on the bottom and then possibly slightly widen the gaps elsewhere, or if it would still be best to knock out a panel or two.

And... yes, I know there are easier ways to house a jumper. But I only plan on having one spider at a time, and I am willing to put in some extra work to have an enclosure that will be a nice visual addition to my home.

Any thoughts on converting this terrarium for jumping spider use? I know their care is pretty easy, but I want to be sure anyway that I am not overlooking anything.

Edit: The reddit guide also mentions that aquarium gravel/sand will do fine instead of substrate/springtails. Thoughts on this? Aquarium gravel does seem less messy.

Last edited:

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
definitely seal them any cracks. even if your spider cant escape, if its food can, it can be a huge pain.

the terrarium will need cross ventilation- air flow that goes horizontally across. so pick two sides and you should be good. be careful not to crack it!

you can use whatever substrate you want besides calcium / sand or pine/toxic woods.

really, its not that big a deal, just make sure everything is clean and sterilized or made for pets.

keep in mind if theres not enough ventilation, because you will need higher humidity for a regius, it might get moldy. more is better than less. just mist more often if its not humid. or use sphagnum moss and keep it soaked. your spider will probably never touch the floor much. make sure its got plenty to climb up too, and give it a hide to encourage them to sleep in a certain place so they dont build it into the door or anything.

Icey51115

Arachnopeon
definitely seal them any cracks. even if your spider cant escape, if its food can, it can be a huge pain.

the terrarium will need cross ventilation- air flow that goes horizontally across. so pick two sides and you should be good. be careful not to crack it!

you can use whatever substrate you want besides calcium / sand or pine/toxic woods.

really, its not that big a deal, just make sure everything is clean and sterilized or made for pets.

keep in mind if theres not enough ventilation, because you will need higher humidity for a regius, it might get moldy. more is better than less. just mist more often if its not humid. or use sphagnum moss and keep it soaked. your spider will probably never touch the floor much. make sure its got plenty to climb up too, and give it a hide to encourage them to sleep in a certain place so they dont build it into the door or anything.
I appreciate the advice! I've got some sphagnum moss already. I found a different enclosure base that will be better for conversion, as I can pop the glass out and replace with acrylic to drill holes in.

I will probably post about it here when it's all finished. Thanks 🙂