New Keeper Panic

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
hm, i kept my C marshalli on the moist side when young. assumed it was the same for the rest of the genus. same with my Pterinochilus..
Yeah, I was surprised at the C. marshalli humidity as well. I mean, they're not kept super humid, but they don't like it bone dry like their cousins. As for the P. murinus, I've actually yet to dial in my husbandry for slings. They just don't stay slings for very long! By the time I get my rhythm going, they're juvies and require bone dry substrate. But you're right, I don't keep them bone dry, but still pretty darn dry for a sling.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, I was surprised at the C. marshalli humidity as well. I mean, they're not kept super humid, but they don't like it bone dry like their cousins. As for the P. murinus, I've actually yet to dial in my husbandry for slings. They just don't stay slings for very long! By the time I get my rhythm going, they're juvies and require bone dry substrate. But you're right, I don't keep them bone dry, but still pretty darn dry for a sling.
oh for sure. African terrestrials are tanks at any any size.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
That thing is fat and very likely in premolt looking at the color of the abdomen. It can survive a long time without eating anything. Do not worry, do not stress it with live food, just let it do her thing.

I am a long term reptile keeper specializing in venomous snakes and I get you but this is a total different ball game. Welcome to the hobby.

Curazai

Arachnopeon
If there's one thing I like to hear, it's that I have chubby pets! Thank you guys for dispelling some of my fears. How long does premolt last for this species? I've heard that it can be up to a month!

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
If the sling is still teeny I'd guess like 3 weeks for pre molt but I'm not 100% sure as I don't quite remember how long my slow growing slings spent pre molt. Also my juvenile female B. emilia eats far less often than any of my reptiles besides maybe my sand boa.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
If there's one thing I like to hear, it's that I have chubby pets! Thank you guys for dispelling some of my fears. How long does premolt last for this species? I've heard that it can be up to a month!
haha no, it can be much longer. a month is pretty normal for slings though. it can be months for larger specimens.

Curazai

Arachnopeon
And using a paintbrush to gently scoot her when I need her to move is alright? I just gently touch her abdomen with the brush bristles (it's an old squirrel hair paintbrush). Just trying to make sure I've got my bases covered here, since I have the experts!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
And using a paintbrush to gently scoot her when I need her to move is alright? I just gently touch her abdomen with the brush bristles (it's an old squirrel hair paintbrush). Just trying to make sure I've got my bases covered here, since I have the experts!
Perfectly fine to do that but try disturbing them less when they are in pre-molt. And don't freak out if you see her flipped on her back some day soon. For sure, do not disturb her as she molts.

Curazai

Arachnopeon
Yep, I hope to see my little fuzzlet on its back soon enough! I hope I can find out a sex soon.

Curazai

Arachnopeon
Haha of course, 5 hours after this it's completely shed! A perfect moult :3 Leaving her alone to harden up.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Congratulations on surviving your first T molt! The whole premolt/molting process often feels more stressful for us owners than the Ts! ;)

Curazai

Arachnopeon
I was surprised at how white she looked! Usually I struggle to see her against the substrate but she was stark, paper white and around 2 mm longer! Baby's getting so big! When can I tell his/her sex? That might be a long, long while off from what I've been hearing.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah, they are very clear and soft right after the molt. If they are small it doesn't take long for them to harden up. If they are bigger then it takes a lot longer.