New (ish) mantis owner: seeking advice

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I have not fed roaches but mine was taking small crickets an mealworms. If it’s small enough for them to grab, it should be good. I now know the crickets are bad but I breed tons of mealworms so I just feed the small ones. You could try lobster roach nymphs to.
One issue, lobster roaches climb AND hide.

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
You don’t count the very very bottom segment by where the legs are.
Was just unaware that you could tell from such a young age. They shed last night and I'm able to see that it is as you say now. Didn't know they oculd be sexed before maturity. Wish I had known years back! Would have made life so much easier haha.

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
Open a very small area of the lid on your fruit fly culture and let them out one at a time. Once you let 3 out, shut the lid so you can catch the ones that came out using an empty water bottle upside down, they will climb to the top so you won't have to worry about them escaping. Repeat until you have enough fruit flies and then drop them all into the enclosure of your mantis... ;)
I gave up on the idea of fruit flies. The nearest store to me only supplies them in round tubs/pots so it's nigh on impossible to open it just a small amount for only a few to come out. Crickets are not ideal but she seems to be enjoying them!

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
I have not fed roaches but mine was taking small crickets an mealworms. If it’s small enough for them to grab, it should be good. I now know the crickets are bad but I breed tons of mealworms so I just feed the small ones. You could try lobster roach nymphs to.
I've not heard of Lobster roaches, might have to be some sort of special order I do. But thank you for giving me 'food' for thought ;) (haha pun)

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Mine sure does. Climbs down from the top to chase after the cvrickets which is hilarious to watch, Like a baby deer on ice!
Be careful with crickets, make sure to keep where you keep then clean. Feed clean food too.

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
Be careful with crickets, make sure to keep where you keep then clean. Feed clean food too.
I mostly keep them in the original tub I purchase them in. I'm careful to remomve the dead ones to keep bacteria low, and food only stays in over night before being removed to also minimise bacteria growth :D they mostly get fed fish pellets currently because i just happen to have a tonne lying around lol. But yeah, being careful while keeping her fed. She definitely seems to like them. She's eaten 4 today alone.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I mostly keep them in the original tub I purchase them in. I'm careful to remomve the dead ones to keep bacteria low, and food only stays in over night before being removed to also minimise bacteria growth :D they mostly get fed fish pellets currently because i just happen to have a tonne lying around lol. But yeah, being careful while keeping her fed. She definitely seems to like them. She's eaten 4 today alone.
Maybe feed a bit less. Only feed when she is thin.

scorpiette

Arachnopeon
She sounds like quite the opportunistic feeder! Have you considered a sleeve prep for house flies/blue bottles later on? It really helps me avoid losses (and an apartment full of flies): here.

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
She sounds like quite the opportunistic feeder! Have you considered a sleeve prep for house flies/blue bottles later on? It really helps me avoid losses (and an apartment full of flies): here.
I don't think i'm familiar with the term 'sleeve prep'? Can you explain? :D

scorpiette

Arachnopeon
I don't think i'm familiar with the term 'sleeve prep'? Can you explain? :D
Hi Pigeon! If you follow the link, you'll see the sleeve feature--basically a more effective method to "net" a fly for feeding without the others escaping. :)

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
oh
Hi Pigeon! If you follow the link, you'll see the sleeve feature--basically a more effective method to "net" a fly for feeding without the others escaping. :)
wow that's brilliant! i may have to invest for future nymphs!