New (ish) mantis owner: seeking advice

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
I have decided, after some careful deliberation, to get back into owning Mantids!

I have ordered a sphodromantis lineola and am expecting them to arrive tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for feeding?

The last time I owned a mantis, I was very young and I don't really remember how we fed them when they were very small. I have a very good source for feeder bugs, though am uncertain exactly what size I should purchase (or if I should purchase any just yet either!)

Any advice or guidance on this, or just general mantid upkeep would be amazing!

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I have decided, after some careful deliberation, to get back into owning Mantids!

I have ordered a sphodromantis lineola and am expecting them to arrive tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for feeding?

The last time I owned a mantis, I was very young and I don't really remember how we fed them when they were very small. I have a very good source for feeder bugs, though am uncertain exactly what size I should purchase (or if I should purchase any just yet either!)

Drop flies in or roaches in front of them. The movement should trigger its feeding response if it’s hungry/not in premolt. (I only recommend using dubias if necessary, they are a total pain)

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
Drop flies in or roaches in front of them. The movement should trigger its feeding response if it’s hungry/not in premolt. (I only recommend using dubias if necessary, they are a total pain)
surely roaches are way too big for most mantids!

He's currently only L2 or L3, and i was recommended fruit flies by a pet store owner but they seem... kinda chaotic and too much hassle. For now he has crickets but thy're really hard to catch?

Pigeon

Arachnosquire

The bean is here! And they're so much smaller than I was expecting. So cute!
They've been dubbed 'Shifu' - like the character from Kung Fu Panda because honestly, why not lol.
Looking forwards to watching their development and growth <3

Attachments

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Crickets carry bacteria and parasites plus if fed carrots they will melt your mantis so they are a HUGE nono. Use the fruit flies.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Oh, also that sized mantis would take down a blue bottle fly easily. And it’s a female ;)

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
Crickets carry bacteria and parasites plus if fed carrots they will melt your mantis so they are a HUGE nono. Use the fruit flies.
I've literally never heard this!! Ill try and switch his food up, though my crickets are kept in a clean environment and have no parasites so may use up what i have currently. I'm a little wary of the fruit flies as they literally swarm and it's difficult to get only 1-2 out at a time, I don't want to cause harm to the mantis if they swam them. Any tips on how to give them?

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
Oh, also that sized mantis would take down a blue bottle fly easily. And it’s a female ;)
i didn't know you could sex immature specamins? I thought thy had to reach maturity before you could tell?
If you can tell, how doI tell myself at such a young age? :D i'd love to have this knowledge haha

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
wait, MELT mantids! that's not good. how does that work?
i've never heard ti either. In the past, I fed my locusts and crickets carrot and cucumber and had no issues with the mantids eating them. The bacteria one makes sense, but i'm not sure sure i believe the carrot idea XD

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
i didn't know you could sex immature specamins? I thought thy had to reach maturity before you could tell?
If you can tell, how doI tell myself at such a young age? :D i'd love to have this knowledge haha
Counting segments! Pretty easy. Females have six, start counting from the underside of the abdomen. Females last segment is also larger.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
i've never heard ti either. In the past, I fed my locusts and crickets carrot and cucumber and had no issues with the mantids eating them. The bacteria one makes sense, but i'm not sure sure i believe the carrot idea XD
I’ve had the carrot one happen to me. I’m thinking it has to be a certain time after they eat it.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I've literally never heard this!! Ill try and switch his food up, though my crickets are kept in a clean environment and have no parasites so may use up what i have currently. I'm a little wary of the fruit flies as they literally swarm and it's difficult to get only 1-2 out at a time, I don't want to cause harm to the mantis if they swam them. Any tips on how to give them?
Pop em in the fridge for 10 minutes and tap like 10 into a cup. Your mantis would happily take 10.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Open a very small area of the lid on your fruit fly culture and let them out one at a time. Once you let 3 out, shut the lid so you can catch the ones that came out using an empty water bottle upside down, they will climb to the top so you won't have to worry about them escaping. Repeat until you have enough fruit flies and then drop them all into the enclosure of your mantis... ;)

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
surely roaches are way too big for most mantids!

He's currently only L2 or L3, and i was recommended fruit flies by a pet store owner but they seem...
I have not fed roaches but mine was taking small crickets an mealworms. If it’s small enough for them to grab, it should be good. I now know the crickets are bad but I breed tons of mealworms so I just feed the small ones. You could try lobster roach nymphs to.