New Hottentotta caboverdensis owner

Nodroj

Arachnopeon
I recently became a new owner of a Hottentotta caboverdensis and had some general questions. I have been misting his cage w/water but don't like the water marks on the glass. I've taken care of domestic spiders and wondered will soaking a cotton ball work w/scorpions as well? Also my species doesn't seem to active, even late at night. Could his nocturnal bioclock be on Cape Verde Islands time? It also got fed 4 days after a previous feeding and after coming home from work (less than 20 hours after introducing a cricket) the only result was a upside down cricket that never moved until it was touched, inspiring a freak out. What happened? Haha. Thanks to all who answer.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I mist mine about once a week. I also allow a small water dish to overflow about once evey two weeks. That should be enough. The cotton ball ia a bad idea. THey get real gross and become unsanitary, plus they are not really needed. What are your temperatures like. That could be the cause of it's sluggishness. Or she could be about to molt or have kids.

JOhn

Nodroj

Arachnopeon
I'm unsure of the temperature. My house is at 21 degrees celcius but I have a small 7 watt bulb for a touch more heat. What is an ideal temperature? Also, I've encountered a lot of inconsistencies when it comes to feeding. I've been told every 3 days while some other sources agree, others says 2 days or everyday. As for kids, it reproduces asexually so that is possible.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you can get the scorpions temps around 25-29C you should see more activity. I wouldn't worry about any feeding schedule. One decent sized meal a week is fine for an adult. They are parthenogenic, all the ones in captivity are female and will produce clones of themselves. No males needed.

Nodroj

Arachnopeon
I'll have to invest in a temperature gauge of some kind. Maybe next month I'll spoil it. Haha.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Use demineralized water, that has no chalk= no stains :D

I keep a lot of Tityus species, and young can walk over the water stains, so that's why I use demin. water. no stains= safety and not me searching for escapees.....

Nodroj

Arachnopeon
That's a very good thing to know. Haha. I don't want escapees either. My friend and I got our scorpions at the same time and he worried that the young would be small enough to just climb out but them climbing water stains wasn't something I even thought about. Very interesting.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's a very good thing to know. Haha. I don't want escapees either. My friend and I got our scorpions at the same time and he worried that the young would be small enough to just climb out but them climbing water stains wasn't something I even thought about. Very interesting.
I reacted the same when someone gave me this tip years ago :)

Cheers, Michiel

NWAHS

Arachnopeon
molting

yo man, my scorpion didn't really want to eat last night and i haven't fed him in 5 days. so i think ours is going to molt soon!!! hehe. now i'm wondering if they leave there exoskeleton intact? or they shed it in peices, i know that my turantula would shed the whole thing which was cool. oh and if and when they shed maybe don't feed them since their new "shell" is soft, i think cricket's may stress them out.