New Hot

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool. Have you heard it make that raspy sound when it moves? I think this spp and the sawscale vipers make sounds with their scales..(?)

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
its a desert sidewinder.they live on it?
they do live on sand in the wild, this one isn't in the wild. I don't think all the snakes you see commonly kept in captivity are found in the wild on a substrate of news paper and aspen bedding, but its the healthiest choice for keeping them in captivity. I'm not trying to spark up an argument, just thought that sand wasn't a good idea.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
rattlers are tough-as-nails critters though. they can handle a lot more than other snakes.

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sand is the best substrate for them simply because it does not hold humidity like aspen or cypress. Crotalus cerastes rarely ever encounter water or high humidity in its natural enviroment.

Gorgeous snake there.:D

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they do live on sand in the wild, this one isn't in the wild. I don't think all the snakes you see commonly kept in captivity are found in the wild on a substrate of news paper and aspen bedding, but its the healthiest choice for keeping them in captivity. I'm not trying to spark up an argument, just thought that sand wasn't a good idea.
Ok,You have a great point.No argument here;) and huh good point.Just like it displayed in natural habitat.I do like feeding on sand because of the sand on rodent and chance of impaction

current218

Arachnopeon
I really can't see the problem with keeping animals on their natural substrate. I have kept both lizards and snakes on sand and peat and bark respectively, none have died. One of my closest friends has a reptile zoo and keeps her animals on whatever they live on in the wild, not a single trace of impaction from living on sand in 4 years of having them out in display cages. Sand, bark or other coarse substrates are very helpful when it comes to cleaning and shedding.

And for me, i would NEVER keep an animal on newspaper, especially not animals that actually use their natural substrate for hiding and hunting, such as the Crotalus cerastes. Not easy to disguise yourself in newspaper is it? As reptile keepers we surely have an obligation to the animal to give it what it needs to feel safe and to stimulate its natural behavior as much as possible? Nothing natural about your morning paper.

On topic: Awesome little bugger, i just love rattlers. Crotalids are the pinnacle of the snake world.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really can't see the problem with keeping animals on their natural substrate. I have kept both lizards and snakes on sand and peat and bark respectively, none have died. One of my closest friends has a reptile zoo and keeps her animals on whatever they live on in the wild, not a single trace of impaction from living on sand in 4 years of having them out in display cages. Sand, bark or other coarse substrates are very helpful when it comes to cleaning and shedding.

And for me, i would NEVER keep an animal on newspaper, especially not animals that actually use their natural substrate for hiding and hunting, such as the Crotalus cerastes. Not easy to disguise yourself in newspaper is it? As reptile keepers we surely have an obligation to the animal to give it what it needs to feel safe and to stimulate its natural behavior as much as possible? Nothing natural about your morning paper.

On topic: Awesome little bugger, i just love rattlers. Crotalids are the pinnacle of the snake world.
Thanks! I have a 10 year old beardie I kept on the same kind of sand for its Life and he is still kicking.My son keeps a leo on paper because my son saw to many you tube videos of how dangerous it is.

I respect others ppls opinions,us critter folk got to stay together,I have enough problems from others just saying "Are you insane for keeping those!!!":rolleyes: