New homes = strange behavior....

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey today i figured i would give my first two tarantulas i ever had, new homes... I cleaned out all thier old stuff, rinsed out the tank, and then made it new... I put peatmoss in for the substrate, and thats what was always in there, but they are like... afraid to walk on it, and right when i put them back in thier tanks they ran right across the peatmoss and went up onto the glass... and they won't come down... anyone else experience this?? they don't seem like they trust what thier walking on? Any ideas??? Thanks.
Mike:? :? :? :? :?

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine have spazed when I put them in new homes.
I just give them time to aclimate.
I think as soon as they get a little carpeting down or start to make the place their own in other ways they'll settle right in for ya.

Good luck. :)

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
yes this has happened to me jus give them a day they should be fine!-jason

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, this is a normal thing to have happen. In afew days or so they will settle in to their new homes.

Andy

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My rosie didn't like the substrate until it dried out about a 1/2 inch down. She hung up in the corners and only came down once in awhile. Its a few days later now and she is staying on the ground but seems to like having some legs in contact with the side of the enclosure.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
My rosie HATES when I mist the tank, she WILL NOT walk on anything moist. I have a large flat rock in there and don't mist it when I mist the substrate so she will have a dry spot. (Spoiled rotten... or what?)

They just need time.... patience is a must with these critters, they do things at their OWN pace.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My rosie has settled in but isn't interested in the coconut shelter except as a bathroom so I remembered I had a PVC elbow around. I went and clened it real good with soap and water and rinsed it several times under hot water and a few times under cold water to be safe and put it in her enclosure.....now she runs and hides in the coconut. :? :rolleyes:

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know that my Rosehair clung to the side of the tank until the substrate dried. I believe certain breeds of terrestrial Tarantulas like things on the drier side than others. It took my Rosehair awhile to get used to her new surroundings. After awhile she just calmed right down and started walking on the cage floor. To her, I guess her new tank is like an Elysian paradise compared to the pet shop she was in. I felt so sorry for her all curled up in a ball in the corner because kids would pester the poor lizards and arachnids when the owners weren't looking. :(

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks everyone, My Rosies are both still on the wall, i noticed they did come down, because i see some new webbing on the floor, but i guess they still don't like it yet, hopefully they will come down by tomorrow, It can't be to fun to be stuck vertical for days... i feel bad... Thanks for letting me know this is normal though.:(