New Hobbyist: questions on various species, advice please

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
1. Are Payson Blonde's good Beginner Species? What is the scientific name for them, and could someone provide a short care sheet for me?

2. How are A. Metallica's for Beginner species? Also, if anyone has a care sheet as well.

3. Costa Rican Tiger Rump: General care. As well as your thoughts as a 2nd T. Good or bad for a Beginner?

4. Brazilian Fire Red/Rump Bird Eaters: Found a GREAT deal on these! It will be my 2nd T. Good idea as a 2nd T? Also I would like a care sheet as well as needed humidity and temperature requirements. Sorry I'm posting so many new threads tonight. I'm going through online dealers to see what I want to order for a 2nd and 3rd T this week and I posting a new thread for each Spider I come across I have a question about. But I really do hope this is a docile Tarantula. A 10" T would be great! I'll get it at about 3/4" for $15.

5. White Striped Birdeater: Beginner species? Care sheet anyone? Again, all apologies for posting new threads. This way each species has its own thread for me to keep track of. Plus different people will answer for different species. Thanks again everyone. :)

6. Does anyone know anything about this species? Beginner level or more Advanced? Humidity/Temp.? Size? Speed? Proper care? Thanks.

7. Aphonopelma moderatum (Rio Grande Gold): How good of a choice is this for a beginner species? Care sheets? Docile? Hard too raise? Overall thoughts?

---------- Post added at 04:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 AM ----------

5. Also would like some information on the Aphonopelma sp.Texas as well.

8. Ceratogyrus darlingi (Horned Baboon): I know this probably IS NOT a Beginner species by any means. But how bad is it really? Speed, Aggression, Size, and Care? Does anyone have any experience? Comparable to the OBT by any chance?

mosca

Arachnopeon
Now you've changed you question I've removed my post.
I would completely agree with what JC50 says though.

Last edited:

arachnobint

Arachnopeon
i got a sling of one of these, they are awesome and pretty good eaters... so slow growing though mine molted about a week ago and looks no bigger than before.

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My suggestion would be to slow down and do some reading and there is plenty of information available on this site to give you the answers you are looking for if you use the search section of this site.This way your decision can be based on knowledge and not the opinions of others and you know exactly what you are or are not getting yourself into.This hobby is addictive and your excitement about collecting shows but educate yourself before you make hasty purchases.:)

LV-426

Arachnobaron
get these books: The Tarantula Keepers Guide, and Tarantulas and other Arachnids. These books will give you all the knowledge and confidence u need. If you are really serious and got some brains you can take care of most species with no problem

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
I DIDN'T DO IT! It was the Admins.

I never changed the post. I think the Admins did. I had all the species in individual posts. Apparently they didn't like that. I was asking in their own posts because I was going through a list for online dealers and was questioning each one. Plus that way each T had their own thread. So I would get answers from people that knew about each species. Now it's all messed up, and I can't see what anyone wrote before it got condensed!

acidrain842

Arachnopeon
If you want a payson blonde just get an A. Chalcodes because you can get all sorts of information on them, and they're cheap. If its your first t i suggest getting a terrestrial species because they're easier to care for. You can find plenty of information by just searching for all those species.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never changed the post. I think the Admins did. I had all the species in individual posts. Apparently they didn't like that. I was asking in their own posts because I was going through a list for online dealers and was questioning each one. Plus that way each T had their own thread. So I would get answers from people that knew about each species. Now it's all messed up, and I can't see what anyone wrote before it got condensed!
Well you clogged up both forums with questions you could easily find by searching.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The answer to all 8 of your questions is simple:

Google
Google is terrible with this stuff. Search this site, not google.

Here, I'll even go one step further:

Alright, here it is:

There are two ways to access the search tool. From the main page, you can access it in the toolbar directly below your login information (top right corner) and across the length of the site, horizontally:

To access from a sub-forum, it is located below the page select quick-links, on the right:

With either method, click it, and it opens a text box to insert search criteria:

You can type the criteria and click 'Go', and that's that. If you would rather do a more advanced search, click the 'Advanced Search' link.

Advanced searching

Here's the advanced menu:

If you are already in a subforum, it will highlight it and only search through there. To change the forum you would like to search, just scroll and click the proper forum.

To select whether you want to search all posts or only titles, use the drop-down box just below the keyword(s) text box:

And finally, if you are searching for multiple words and would like them all to appear in your search results (as opposed to only one or two of the words appearing), be sure to put quotes (" ") around the words. For example, if you are searching for 'pine bark', you will get results with the word 'pine' only and 'bark' unless you put it in quotes ("pine bark").

I hope this is helpful to everyone.

--Joe

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Yeah google does come up with some pretty whacked out results sometimes, but since he was inquiring about alot of caresheets, I've found that google can typically pop up a few good general caresheet pages for most species.
But yes, as far as peoples experiences & opinions, as well as in depth discussions and lots of pointers on any given species, the search function here is your best friend.

Rue

Arachnoknight
I have an older version of Schultzs' Tarantula book...it's very good.

I'm going to look up the newer version as well...from the excerpts I've read it's a bit clearer for the new pet owner...

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
I do use the "search" feature, but it seems so useless! Never an easy click here option. Mostly sellers come up and other bs.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I do use the "search" feature, but it seems so useless! Never an easy click here option. Mostly sellers come up and other bs.
Look at Joes post, it shows you how to avoid that. You have to use the advanced search option and choose to search through the tarantula boards only. That'll weed out the seller posts.