New habitat for Emperor babies

cherryskary

Arachnopeon
Since mama has died, we have decided to put the two babies that we kept into her tank. They are small enough and the tank is large enough that they should have plenty of room to coexist now without any issues. We had previously separated them because their space was very small and one of them was almost twice the size of the other, but since we put them in the bigger tank they have pretty much ignored each other. Now we can regulate the environment much better so I can relax about that.

Since we still aren't sure what made Mama passed away, we emptied and deep cleaned the tank. I mixed cocoa fiber and some bark chips, added moss and leaves, four hides and a water dish. We will also be getting isopods to help keep the environment clean, and are considering a live plant or two.

Humidity is controlled by a misting unit connected to a timer, heat is through UV lights on top of the tank. They haven't had a day/night cycle so far since we took them away from mama. 😬

Here's some pics. I love the tiny claw in the huge hide 😂
(Before you come for me, they were only in the Tupperware for about 20min while we moved hides from their old tanks.)

IMG_20220410_192818052.jpg IMG_20220410_193100557.jpg
IMG_20220410_192841855.jpg IMG_20220410_192853383.jpg
IMG_20220410_193235409.jpg IMG_20220410_194253352.jpg
IMG_20220410_194831410.jpg IMG_20220410_223144115.jpg

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Since mama has died, we have decided to put the two babies that we kept into her tank. They are small enough and the tank is large enough that they should have plenty of room to coexist now without any issues. We had previously separated them because their space was very small and one of them was almost twice the size of the other, but since we put them in the bigger tank they have pretty much ignored each other. Now we can regulate the environment much better so I can relax about that.

Since we still aren't sure what made Mama passed away, we emptied and deep cleaned the tank. I mixed cocoa fiber and some bark chips, added moss and leaves, four hides and a water dish. We will also be getting isopods to help keep the environment clean, and are considering a live plant or two.

Humidity is controlled by a misting unit connected to a timer, heat is through UV lights on top of the tank. They haven't had a day/night cycle so far since we took them away from mama. 😬

(Before you come for me, they were only in the Tupperware for about 20min while we moved hides from their old tanks.)

View attachment 415353 View attachment 415356
View attachment 415354 View attachment 415355
View attachment 415358 View attachment 415359
View attachment 415361 View attachment 415362
Nice enclosure, see if you can bury the hides deeper as scorpions feel more secure in low hides that they just fit into.

When you purchase isopods and the baby scorpions moult the isopods will be very happy as they will feed on the molting scorpion

Don't keep isopods with scorpions, especially young ones,as most isopods are protein hunters.

If you must add anything, add springtails, they will take care of any mold.

cherryskary

Arachnopeon
Don't keep isopods with scorpions, especially young ones,as most isopods are protein hunters.

If you must add anything, add springtails, they will take care of any mold.
Interesting, I had heard the opposite: that springtails would be harmful to newly molted scorpions. The Powder Orange that we had before worked really well; if springtails are safer and would work just as well we would switch.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Springtails are totally harmless.

I wouldn’t recommend keeping them under UV. They actively avoid it and it could even be harmful. If you want to add extra light, I’d suggest LED.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Yo
Interesting, I had heard the opposite: that springtails would be harmful to newly molted scorpions. The Powder Orange that we had before worked really well; if springtails are safer and would work just as well we would switch.
You'll probably find that your powder orange worked really well because the mother scorpion was old and never molted in your care.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I second not using Porcellionoides pruinosus or any other isopod with small scorpions, the isopods are definitely food and protein motivated and can and likely will chomp on a molting scorpion. Springtails are totally harmless and will keep the tank clean just as well.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

View attachment 415353 View attachment 415356
View attachment 415354 View attachment 415355
View attachment 415358 View attachment 415359
View attachment 415361 View attachment 415362
Definitely avoid UV it's lethal to them.

cherryskary

Arachnopeon
Ahh okay. I'm actually not 100% that it's a UV bulb, I will have to confirm with boyfriend. He's the one who set up and changed out all the lights. Thanks!