new H.lividum

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was checking out an exotic pet store a little ways from my house and saw a 4 inch H.lividum in a bone dry tank with one inch of soil :( . I could not help buying it .So after the guy took 20 very long minuets getting the thing out of the cage and into a small deli cup (Which I though was Ridiculous) I took it home . When I got home I SAW WHY THE GUY TOOK 20 MINUETS GETTING THE THING OUT !!! After about one hour many angry words and a cople almost run outs . got it out of the deli cup into its new cage . Any way I need to know the truth about some things from pepole who have owned thes things.

1 are they master escape artests.

2 do they need 90% humidity all the time.

3 how aggressive are they realy I have herd storys that make them sound like dinosaurs.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They do require high humidity. If you give it deep substrate to burrow in, you won't have to worry about it escaping and the defensiveness will be gone because so will the T. Congradulations, you just purchased a pet hole. It won't be happy without a burrow and with a burrow, you'll never see it.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was checking out an exotic pet store a little ways from my house and saw a 4 inch H.lividum in a bone dry tank with one inch of soil :( . I could not help buying it .So after the guy took 20 very long minuets getting the thing out of the cage and into a small deli cup (Which I though was Ridiculous) I took it home . When I got home I SAW WHY THE GUY TOOK 20 MINUETS GETTING THE THING OUT !!! After about one hour many angry words and a cople almost run outs . got it out of the deli cup into its new cage . Any way I need to know the truth about some things from pepole who have owned thes things.

3 how aggressive are they realy I have herd storys that make them sound like dinosaurs.

If its a secure enclosure, no T is an escape artist. They do prefer higher humidty in my experience. As long as they have some moist (no soaking wet) substrate to bury in they are fine. And yes, they are nasty. Mine will not hesitate to throw a threat display if caught in the open. No T will go after you, but these won't back down from you either if they have no place to run off to.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Yep, those are real fast and I mean real real fast
and nasty kind
it will suprize the hell-a of ya, have to be careful
if it had a big mouth full of teeth, it will eat ya
and they love it wet and deep cuz they love to dig and hide and dont come out :evil:
but I'd always check the lid before I open enclosure
it cud be mean suprize there

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
mine is still just a little guy but man they are fast
it tried to escape once when i was transfering it and i didn't even see it move and :eek: she's at the top of the cage with no lid:eek:
but once she got settled and built a pretty deep burrow i haven't had an escape attempt

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Set up your H. lividum in a medium to large Kritter Keeper. For substrate for burrowers, I mix a bit of cypress mulch with a lot of cheap topsoil and some peat moss. This gives you a substrate that will retain moisture and that has some structure to support the burrow. In the middle of the empty Kritter Keeper, put a brick on its edge. It should be about an inch to an inch-and-a-half from the side of the Kritter Keeper. Then pack in the substrate mixture tightly, filling the Kritter Keeper to a level at least 1" above the top of the brick. In one corner begin a thumb-sized burrow. Then cover the outside of the Kritter Keeper with brown paper from a grocery bag. The tarantula will dig its burrow between the brick and the plastic wall of the Kritter Keeper. When you want to view it, take off the paper. Just don't leave the paper off for long or the tarantula will web the side of the burrow until it is opaque. I let mine dry out a bit every couple of weeks. She never was aggressive or even defensive with me except when I took her egg sack. (I speak in the past tense because after three years with several, I have divested myself of all Haplopelmas.)

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It has been awhile since I have invested in a H. lividum.

But have three other Haplopelma species at the moment, not nearly as secretive as the Cobalt Blue. In fact they're active most every night without the least bit skittishness or nervousness.

Here is my set-up:

................................|
-----> Hideaway Log |<---Entrance blocked off/Covered
---------------------------
Heat Pad
^

Last edited:

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well it made a burrow but doesn’t go in it it stays out in the open and sits there moves around a little.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's only been two days. Give it time to settle in and enjoy seeing it while you can. It won't last long. LOL

daniel s.

Arachnopeon
I really like the color on this species but I've heard there too agressive and I was probably not ready for one. I'd like to work my way up to owning one though, they're very beautiful!:clap:

prey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
great

My H. lividums are mean enough to be interesting, but it's not like they readily speed up the side of the tank or anything. I use long tweezers and a long plastic reusable Slurpee collector's spoon-straw around them. Mine burrow against the vivarium walls where I can usually see them inside. They come out sometimes and chill for a while.