New H. Arizonensis enclosure with false bottom

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
IMG_4268.JPG IMG_4270.JPG
Still a work in progress. 10gl tank was used. Final layer is drying now. I'll be putting more hides in there when it dries.
I tested out the false bottom and actually over filled it so it's taking twice as long to dry out! :) At least I know it works well with little water. I used a plastic tray filled with gravel and mesh over the top with a rubber tube going from the lid into the bottom of the tray.
My H. Arizonensis is premolt. The enclosure he is currently in he seeks out any bit of water I put in there so I know he's wanting more humidity. My only concern is when I move him he'll have to redo his burrows to reach the humidity below, I think this may wear him out too much and he may be too tired to molt. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
Very nice work! That is my thought also on the Hadrurus Arizonensis. By creating a damp bottom, it simulates nature and why they dig such deep borrows. They are looking for any humidity to help in their molting process. I had read about building such a tank and actually started one but got side tracked with Hadogenes Troglodytes.
I personally think it will work, I would be careful on how much you wet it down, I think a little water (distilled) would go a long way.. I hope for your little friend it works :) and great job.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I think it looks pretty good. Perhaps this experiment will help all of us figure out if humidity really is at the bottom of all these H. arizonensis molting issues that plague us.

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
I moved him over! Here are pics from last night before I moved him.
IMG_4276.JPG IMG_4278.JPG
Anyday now I feel like. He is so big and so sluggish. Looks like he's having a hard time getting around, poor guy. I woke up this morning and he already dug a shallow burrow in the new enclosure :) now it's a waiting game. I'll keep updating.

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
Sorry I haven't updated. I haven't seen him in over a month now :( he disappeared in the deep substrate shortly after my last post and I haven't seen him since. He never fully went into diapause this last winter so I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it. I figure I'll wait another couple months before I try to dig him up, thoughts? I hope he's okay, can't help but worry.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
I would wait and not dig him up. I haven't seem my Troglodyte in a couple months also but i know she is okay, the crickets disappear..