New guy needs help

HaraKiri

Arachnopeon
I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to the hobby. I have a G. Aureostriata and am looking around for something a tad more challenging. I am just wondering if anyone may have an idea of a species that may suit me. I am trying to go for terrestrial species for now and something halfway docile because I have brothers to deal with until I move out. Thank you ahead of time, I'm really looking forward to my membership here.;)

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
challenging how?

So, challenging in terms of environment, or feeding, or temperament (oops, you said docile), or ?? Do you want something colorful, or active, or a huge webber?

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to the hobby. I have a G. Aureostriata and am looking around for something a tad more challenging. I am just wondering if anyone may have an idea of a species that may suit me. I am trying to go for terrestrial species for now and something halfway docile because I have brothers to deal with until I move out. Thank you ahead of time, I'm really looking forward to my membership here.;)
Hi and welcome to Arachnoboards:)

IMO, you should get a Aphonopelma seemani or Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, they are more skitish then G.aureostriata but not defensive, both look great, very easy to keep and not too expensive.

Take care!

Alain

HaraKiri

Arachnopeon
Something that's alright to keep in a busy home, so a good NW T sums up what I mean. I've been looking at some Brachypelma T's. Because my brothers are curious I've been looking at something docile but still interesting.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ahhhh

Docile, interesting NW terrestrial T's. That I can work with! Be prepared for a bunch of opinions on this, but here goes: I love Brachypelma smithi (great colors & always visible) & B. albopilosum (I like hairy T's), B. emilia is docile and big, and Grammostola pulchra is always impressive. Wait, forget about G. pulchra, because if you can find one for sale, I want it! lol. I'm sure more opinions will follow! Good luck! Tony

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A. hentzi or A. anax? i love them right after a molt and for a long time later they are so pretty bugs

A. anax 5+ months post molt

A. hentzi juvie.

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You really can't go wrong with a Brachy. Have you thought about the Brazilian Black (G. pulchra) or Pink Zebra Beauty (Eupalaestrus campestriatus)? Probably the two most docile T's out there, easily handleable, although they're notoriously slow growing and don't do very much.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I second A. hentzi or A. anax. I love both those species (even though I can't tell the difference between them {D )

HaraKiri

Arachnopeon
G. Pulchra has been my dream T. E. campestratus is one I talked to my girlfriend about getting her, so they've came up in my head over this. Finding both of those at local pet shops though seems impossible thus far. A. Anax and Hentzi are gorgeous, and another contender has just entered my considerations. You are all helping very much, thank you all who've posted.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Have you considered ordering online? There are many reputable dealers to choose from, and one of them has G. pulchra. ;) There are multiple threads in the Announcements Forum from board members thrilled to get their hands on one. I didn't start a thread, but I got one too. He/she is a happy, healthy, tiny little bug... if tiny doesn't bother you. Ordering online is a great option to expand your species choices.

Welcome to the board, btw!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You could also go with a B. smithi, B. albpilosum, B. vagans, B. boehmei. Have you considered a G. aureostriata? All of those would be really good Ts and they are all pretty ones.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. pulchra

G. pulchra are just big, black, slow growing, reallly slow growing T's that you wouldn't like at all. Send all G. pulchras to me. Repeat, all G. pulchras belong in Idaho.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sorry but tarantulas are NOT bugs.
bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs

Have you considered a G. aureostriata?
He already has one. ;)

OP, if you don't mind not handling, then a C. cyaneopubescens would be great. They're zippy, but they'd rather run and hide in their hidey-hole than try to run out of the tank. My girl's almost always visible unless she's in premolt or something. Lots of webs, lots of colors, and an awesome appetite.

L. parahybana is also good. SOME of them can apparently be pretty calm, but otherwise they're a high-metabolism T that automatically assumes anything in reach is food. Not a panicky bug, however, except for when they're teeny. Visible and pretty; some people think their colors are dull, but I kinda like the pink.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi man & welcome, I would recomend some Brachypelma sp. are beautiful and docile, the G. Rosea or even the A. Geniculata it's colorful and has a good size. :D

HaraKiri

Arachnopeon
Wow, thank you all for the quick and kind responses. I'm already beginning to love this place. As for my tarantula I'm still undecided but you all have helped me very much in finding a better idea of what I will get. Thank you all very much.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another vote for C.cyaneopubescens :D

You said good for a busy home? These are a perfect choice, as they are SUPER hardy: they like a bone dry enclosure, and are tolerant of temperature variations. They're also a lot of fun, being great eaters, very webby and interesting, and drop dead gorgeous. They are quite active for a T also. Size is modest - 4.5 - 5+ inches, and their temperament is nervous, flighty, but generally non-defensive, aside for some flicking when agitated. All around a GREAT tarantula.

Cyclosternum fasciatum would be another option to consider.