New Guinea Grey Velvet

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
Possibly Selenocosmia? Came in today.
Hi Bill,
Yep, more than likely Selenocosmia, maybe Phlogiellus sp. Phlogiellus have a bend/crack on the ventral side of tarsus no IV. Not apical or basal, dead center of the tarsus. It's the first morphological feature to look for when keying down the Selenocosmiinae. If it has this feature, then without doubt it's a Phlogiellus. A lot of the Chirobrachys in the hobby are probably Phlogiellus spp. I think this is because of ID'ing using Gunter Schmidt's keys, which are not accurate. How large is the specimen?

Cheers,
Steve

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sadly this shipment got held up by Airborne so the nicer and bigger of the two was DOA... But that also means I could send it off for ID. Hmm. Anyway, they're both around 5-6". The bigger one was probably 6.5"-ish.

bill

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sadly this shipment got held up by Airborne so the nicer and bigger of the two was DOA... But that also means I could send it off for ID. Hmm. Anyway, they're both around 5-6". The bigger one was probably 6.5"-ish.

bill
Hi Bill,
There aren't too many Phlogiellus spp. that get to those sizes, even though they are extremely common in New Guinea. Probably will be Selenocosmia. Who did the specimen go to?

Thanks,
Steve

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Haven't sent it, yet. Who do you suggest? My understanding is that Rick's kind of busy lately... But maybe he'd be up for it. Volker?

bill

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haven't sent it, yet. Who do you suggest? My understanding is that Rick's kind of busy lately... But maybe he'd be up for it. Volker?

bill
If Rick's too busy at the moment, Volker would do it I'm sure. I'd also try and get in contact with Andrew Smith (BTS), he's working with some of the Asian spiders at the moment (although I admit, Andrew's a busy man himself and can be hard to get in touch with). Peter Kirk may also be able to help. If you have no luck with these names, Martha Yanez is back in Mexico for a little while, you should be able to get into contact with her through the University of Mexico. She's spent a bit of time on the subfamily Selenocosmiinae recently so would definately be able to shed some light or you.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

bill
If all else fails I can key it down to genus for you.

Cheers,
Steve

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hadn't thought of Andrew, although I did hear of him working on his Asian book (can't wait for that - I have all his older books except the 'Americas' one).

Can you pm me his email? Or Peter?

bill