New G. pulchripes keeper

Lessej

Arachnopeon
Greetings all,

I acquired my first T last month, a Grammostola pulchripes. Before buying I did a lot of research and several times I came upon discussions here on the Arachnoboards regarding various T's and issues. I thought it was time to add into the discussion myself.

I purchased this little sling guy/gal from Jamie's Tarantulas and it's been feeding on B. lateralis a few times a week since. It's currently about 3/4 - 1" in size and living in a baseball display case that I bought from Hobby Lobby. I'll be upgrading it to a bigger one soon, perhaps after it molts. It hasn't eaten for about a week and over the past 2 weeks I'd say has been blocking off its lair entrance with substrate. I unblocked the entrance a few days after i saw that behavior initially and let a lateralis into the lair and it did eat however now it seems to refuse food altogether even when they walk right next to it!

I think he/she is in premolt. I guess I'll eventually find out one way or another but if anyone can identify of this may be the case just from the photos that would be great. The last picture shows him as of tonight.. I think the rump is enlarged and some hair is gone.

20160825_164914.jpg
20160828_192618.jpg
20160926_210754.jpg
20160926_205646.jpg

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
Greetings all,

I acquired my first T last month, a Grammostola pulchripes. Before buying I did a lot of research and several times I came upon discussions here on the Arachnoboards regarding various T's and issues. I thought it was time to add into the discussion myself.

I purchased this little sling guy/gal from Jamie's Tarantulas and it's been feeding on B. lateralis a few times a week since. It's currently about 3/4 - 1" in size and living in a baseball display case that I bought from Hobby Lobby. I'll be upgrading it to a bigger one soon, perhaps after it molts. It hasn't eaten for about a week and over the past 2 weeks I'd say has been blocking off its lair entrance with substrate. I unblocked the entrance a few days after i saw that behavior initially and let a lateralis into the lair and it did eat however now it seems to refuse food altogether even when they walk right next to it!

I think he/she is in premolt. I guess I'll eventually find out one way or another but if anyone can identify of this may be the case just from the photos that would be great. The last picture shows him as of tonight.. I think the rump is enlarged and some hair is gone.

View attachment 221347
View attachment 221349
View attachment 221348
View attachment 221346
This is classic pre-molt behavior. Leave her alone for a few days or weeks. Don't try to feed her or open her burrow. She will come out when she is ready.

Lessej

Arachnopeon
This is classic pre-molt behavior. Leave her alone for a few days or weeks. Don't try to feed her or open her burrow. She will come out when she is ready.
Awesome! Thanks for the reassurance/info! I did stop clearing the blockage, thinking this was the case... I was still kind of worried though so that's what prompted me to finally sign up and post. As I was searching sling premolt behavior online I found that I was exhibiting some new owner classic premolt behavior too... panic over not eating, thinking how is it going to breathe with no entrance, etc. heh heh.

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
Awesome! Thanks for the reassurance/info! I did stop clearing the blockage, thinking this was the case... I was still kind of worried though so that's what prompted me to finally sign up and post.
Welcome to the large collection of weirdos obsessed with eight legged fuzzy creatures on the interwebs then!

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
Everything will be OK, leave her alone and she''like be all pretty in a new suit before you can say Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens! Here, have a lollypop!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You made an excellent choice for your first T. It takes a while for this to really sink in, but tarantulas thrive on neglect. As long as they have a box of dirt with a water bowl and the occasional cricket, they're pretty set.

Enjoy your new addiction.

Ashley2070

Arachnopeon
Hey I have a G. Pulchripes from Jamie I wouldn't be suprised if was from the same sac. Mine is the same size and in premolt as well. Wouldn't worry about anything just leave it alone till it molts! :)

jim777

Arachnosquire
Slings can be stressful, but I think that's why we buy them; they need so little from us once they get a bit older (as Cavedweller said)! Great first choice, and welcome to the hobby :)

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks for the welcome and replies everyone!

I live in the Pewaukee area. :)
Oh now I feel bad...I could have gotten you your pulchripes at half the cost and 4 times the size....heck, I'd have given you one. Keep in touch, I do a lot of breeding.

Lessej

Arachnopeon
Oh now I feel bad...I could have gotten you your pulchripes at half the cost and 4 times the size....heck, I'd have given you one. Keep in touch, I do a lot of breeding.
That's awesome to hear that so many of you have one of these slings right now, and from Jamie.

Cold Blood, the little guy cost $16 with shipping which wasn't bad at all so it all worked out in the end. I'm definitely thinking of getting more though. I'm open to hearing what you might have available now or in the future.

cold blood

Staff member
That's awesome to hear that so many of you have one of these slings right now, and from Jamie.

Cold Blood, the little guy cost $16 with shipping which wasn't bad at all so it all worked out in the end. I'm definitely thinking of getting more though. I'm open to hearing what you might have available now or in the future.
Yeah I know, its not breaking the bank...just that there was larger, cheaper local ones:(

Message me and I will fill you in as to what I have available.