New Frogs

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, Recently I bought two new frogs, a bought a red eyed tree frog and a white tree frog from a Show. So far they both seem fine, although here and there it seems that the White Tree Frog turns a brownish colors some times... is this normal? For the Red Eyed Tree frog he seems healthy a very nice light shade of green, bright orange hands and nice light blue sides. Right now I have them both in a five gallon tank with a paper towel bedding that is being changed regularly. There is a minor heat pad on the bottom of the tank and some plants that are cleaned regularly in the tank aswell. So far I have put in about 8 Crickets and all but one has gone missing :p . Also I am worried with keeping these two together because I think the White Tree Frog kind of gets to the food before the Red Eyed Tree frog. Am I taking care of them properly?

Eric

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would think you should house them separately. I dont know for sure but I would think that is best. make sure you are using properly conditioned water. is the whites treefrog going brown uniformly? or is it a patchy change? cause if it is going all brown a certain time of day it is normal for most tree frogs to do that. you may want to set them up in a more arboreal tank set up as well.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would think you should house them separately.
Seriously, and fast. Cohabiting most herps is a bad idea--cohabiting different SPECIES is an even worse one.

Furthermore, those conditions are not acceptable. A White's should have a MINIMUM ten gallon tank to itself, though I'm also seeing sites that say you need at least a 25g tall. They're also CANNIBALS, surprise surprise. Temp range during the day should be 86 over the heater, 80 on the cooler end. Humidity 50-60%.

Red-eyes should be housed with other red-eyes, since they're apparently a communal species. They also need a MUCH bigger tank than that. Temps should range from 78-85, with a humidity of 80-100%. Are you noticing that their environmental requirements don't match the White's? You should be. :embarrassed: Seperate them, because you can't house them together without mistreating one or both species in the process, assuming one or both doesn't end up dead rather quickly from improper care or diseases/parasites from hanging around a species they were never meant to interact with.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would go out straight away and buy bigger enclosures for both of them.
MIxing is never good....

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for your help, the white tree frog changes too brown completely some times during the day and not blotchy, both are fine atm but I will seperate them soon if not right after this post. Thanks again, Only reason I kept them together is because the person who sold them to me said it was fine =/

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Only reason I kept them together is because the person who sold them to me said it was fine =/
Don't feel bad, you didn't know. But as someone who is responsible for the lives of these animals, it's now your responsibility to go do all the research you can stand instead of listening to just one person who could well be wrong (especially if they worked at a petshop--those employees are notoriously ignorant).

Google is absolutely your friend for this, as well as other forums (I believe there's a thread in this very subforum about other herp forums, go check it out :) ). Go out into that wide, wide internet and research, and research some more, and then do it all again. You'll get the hang of things, and your critters will thank you. :D