New Frog, H. versicolor

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This guy is so neat, but I almost forgot about him.. that is until the loud roaring croack that scared the insides out of me tonight. Ejoy. ;)

** He's a great eater too, wish I had roach nymphs for him!

Last edited:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're stomach has some blips of yellow in a few places with the rest of the unerbelly white, I had pics of it but I guess I lost them, I sh'all take some later. They also have a gentle sounding vocalization, I've been hearing it a lot the last couple days.

Ps, do we know if the skin texture trying to mimic some sort of toad or is to blend in with bumpy bark surfaces of trees, (or both)??

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i used to keep them, and man when i run the water,they would go crazy! i mean calling and calling they can get pretty loud when ya got about 6 of them,but they are very cool and hardy little stinkers too{D

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha man do I love these frogs! Catching them is one of my favorite 'sports'.... I go outside at night while they all congregate around my pond to breed, and they're calling, and I follow their noises until I reach then, turn on my flashlight and pounce. The males sure are loud! I've kept females as pets that I've found by the waters edge waiting for the males. Once I found a baby, only the size of my thumbnail!!! I raised it to an adult and it turned out to be male. Still have him almost three years later, he's a fatty, loves to be hand fed. I've also found one (a tiny baby) with six legs... only lived about two months though, even though it ate like a pig. Aaaand there is a board leaning up against my shed, underneath which the same frog lived for three summers... he didnt come back this summer though, I miss him.

These are really great frogs, if I find another female I'll definitely keep her. The males just get a bit too noisy for me :}