New Flat Rock, Need Advice Plzz

Greetings:

I just acquire 2 Hadogenes paucidens!

I keep them hot and dry as I search and read! 30°C 65%H

Can they both stay with each other or separate? They are male and female.

How do you pick up them, by thin tail, or chase into a box?

Can I hold them?

Thank you for patience with newbie :p

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello and welcome...

I can't really answer your Q's with much experience but from what I read, hot and dry is best, high 80's °F (27-30 °C) and low humidity I've seen it list from 60% - 70%. I've also read that they need to be kept apart, but the person I bought mine from at the reptile show (tarantulas INC, not to be confused with Tarantulas.com :8o ) said they can be kept together as long as there are plenty of hides...

Maybe some of the other AB members can help...

GL, post some pics... I'll post some of mine when I get some good ones (it's hard to take a pic of something hidden between rock :p )

Last edited:

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got H.paucidens. Well... lets see how to start I keep them dry mid 80's in a mixture of sand and soil. Try to keep them at about 65 humidity. Do not keep two together. If they are both matured already and your sure you have one male one female (show some pics to confirm) you might try breeding them but don't keep them together long. I really don't advise you hold this scorpion at all. They're adapted to climbing rocks and what not so just having them walk on your hands is very irritating. I'm sure you can possible keep two together with pletty of hides but it would have to be a pretty big tank. One thing about this species is they are quite boring. Kool to look at but very boring. Make sure your hides are cramped as they prefer those to just reguar log hides. I use a flatrock glued to some very tiny rocks so it a few cm of the ground. If you decide to breed them be aware that gestation period for this species is long as is they're growth.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I, too, have heard that they cannot be kept together (unless briefly for breeding -- like Abyss said, post pictures to confirm sexes).

For hides use stacked pieces of flat rocks. I use immitation slate coasters ('cause they're cheaper and lighter), but genuine slate works great too.

Handling: I've held mine on occasion, but I don't recommend it. They're only boring 'till you bother them. Then they run laps around the enclosure, nipping at anything finger-like in their path. If you hold them they scurry all over you and can hang upside-down without a problem. The second time I had mine out it almost ran up my pants :)eek:).

That being said, if you do choose to handle this species, leave one hand flat and stationary in its path and wait until it climbs up. Encouraging it with the other hand usually backfires -- they'll spin around and snip at the poking hand.

Edit: another agreement to what Abyss mentioned is that this is a slow-growing species. I've heard they have among the longest gestation of any scorpion and are very slow to mature.

Oh, and their venom is ridiculously weak. LD50 is something like 1800 mg/kg . . . IV half a cup and you might be in trouble. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
(it's hard to take a pic of something hidden between rock :p )
I got H.paucidens. Well... lets see how to start I keep them dry mid 80's in a mixture of sand and soil. Try to keep them at about 65 humidity. Do not keep two together.
For hides use stacked pieces of flat rocks. I use immitation slate coasters ('cause they're cheaper and lighter), but genuine slate works great too.

Handling: I've held mine on occasion, but I don't recommend it. They're only boring 'till you bother them. Then they run laps around the enclosure, nipping at anything finger-like in their path. If you hold them they scurry all over you and can hang upside-down without a problem. The second time I had mine out it almost ran up my pants :)eek:).
Thank to all of you for the information, it is very insightful.

I agrre about picture taking is difficult.

I set the enclosure up in advance to receiving them. I set it with sand and slate. There is alot of slate where I live. I use a 38 liter tank, and a screen top. I have a heat lamp too.

I do not want to handle them I need to put them seperate. Yet they hide all the time.

I have the one with five tail segments of short length and the other has five longer length segments. Long is male and short female, is this correct?

I will have to borrow a camera to put pictures on here later.

thank you again. it is 4:30 am I need to go to sleep again.

SlovenlyFive

Arachnopeon
I breed the H. paucidens and I keep my breeders in large segmented tanks so that I can separate them and put them together without stressing them. It's true they take forever to gestate (i've experienced up to two years). Even if they do get along with each other, right before the female gives birth she'll attack and attempt to kill (or be killed by) everything in her territory. I've even seen them try to fight through the dividers in the tank. I keep them at 80-85F and about 60% humidity. I would suggest handling any scorpion but if you must, scoop them up; it's safer for both of you.

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Planning to get mine later on...
Its a nice pc...
Was wondering ifit has the same behaviour as H.trogs ? :?