New favourite toy!!!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I was in Canadian Tire (a hardward store) today and happened to notice that they had a new product in the lighting section. A 4W BLB bulb. I bought it and a little portable 6" flourescent tube unit that takes batteries or an adapter. Total cost was about $20 CDN (13 USD). Now, I'm sure something this small would be useless in the field, but for observing scorpions in captivity, it rocks! It is small enough that it isn't cumbersome and it makes them glow pretty brightly. The best is looking at my C.exilicauda tank in the pitch black. The scorpions pop right out. It should be of great use for mating purposes, too! Anyhow, I'd recommend anyone with scorps go out and buy an equivelent unit. It is quite a phenomenal little tool.

Now I just have to find someone selling some phosphorescing paint to do up all my instruments in.

Cheers,
Dave

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found a guy that was making flashlights using near U.V. LED's, he was retrofitting mini mag lights and the larger size mag lights, I have since lost the address since I am using a different PC.......sounded like the larger mag light (it had multiple UV LED's) would have been a great field light. he told me that black light posters, white clothing, etc. would stand out just like lit up with a black light would, is that the wrong wavelength for scorps to fluoresce?
Ed

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Ed,

I would assume they would work. Even if they don't emit light quite at the wavelength which produces the most phosphorescence, they would probably be close. That being said, I don't have much use for field lights around here. If I do end up heading to the ATS convention or whatever I may have to look into it, though.

Cheers,
Dave