New Exoskeleton = New Personality?

RedDrgn

Arachnopeon
My first and, so far, only T is a B. smithi named Nebri (or Nebs). I got her (yes, she is 100% certified female and all of that) in December and generally she was good. I'm a fan of handling T's, but only if they do not object. Nebs typically objected with short dashes and hair kicking whenever a shadow was cast over her, though she never seemed to mind having her legs or abdomen touched if you approached her with your hand on her level, from the side, and not from overhead. So, occasionally rubbing her legs or abdomen gently and briefly (because she's so soft and fluffy) was as much handling as she got.

In April of this year she went from a cricket a week to nothing at all for two straight months. She wanted absolutely nothing to do with food nor handling/touching of any kind, and so she was left alone except for when I'd give her water.

Then she molted in June. Quickly, smoothly, and with no complications at all, and she hasn't been the same T since. Her appetite returned in force and she'll eat anything and everything whenever it is offered (I fed her a little more than once a week for the first two weeks after the molt since she hadn't fed in so long). I didn't try touching her for about three weeks since she seemed more skittish than usual. I cleaned her enclosure completely after three weeks and prodded her gently (barely touch her back legs and she gets the idea) with the blunt end of a pen into a cup like I usually do. She whirled on the pen, reared up, bared fangs and all. I ended up using a wooden spoon to get her into the cup.

When I released her back into her enclosure it was in a cyclone of urticating bristles and dashing spider.

Last night, I had to remove her small water dish because she had gotten substrate in it. When I opened the enclosure lid, she actually rushed towards me and stood in the dish. So, I got a pen and went to prod her out of the dish. Without warning or display she rushed and attacked the pen (with quite a lot of force...I was surprised at her strength). :eek: I ended up waiting until she moved on her own and then slipped the dish out and back in again, quickly.

Has my T lost her mind? Is there any particular reason why she may have become so aggressive since the molt?

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could have just been thirsty? lol. Sometimes even calm tarantulas can be defensive. She might act normal in a few days. Give her a week and try again.

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My first and, so far, only T is a B. smithi named Nebri (or Nebs). I got her (yes, she is 100% certified female and all of that) in December and generally she was good. I'm a fan of handling T's, but only if they do not object. Nebs typically objected with short dashes and hair kicking whenever a shadow was cast over her, though she never seemed to mind having her legs or abdomen touched if you approached her with your hand on her level, from the side, and not from overhead. So, occasionally rubbing her legs or abdomen gently and briefly (because she's so soft and fluffy) was as much handling as she got.

In April of this year she went from a cricket a week to nothing at all for two straight months. She wanted absolutely nothing to do with food nor handling/touching of any kind, and so she was left alone except for when I'd give her water.

Then she molted in June. Quickly, smoothly, and with no complications at all, and she hasn't been the same T since. Her appetite returned in force and she'll eat anything and everything whenever it is offered (I fed her a little more than once a week for the first two weeks after the molt since she hadn't fed in so long). I didn't try touching her for about three weeks since she seemed more skittish than usual. I cleaned her enclosure completely after three weeks and prodded her gently (barely touch her back legs and she gets the idea) with the blunt end of a pen into a cup like I usually do. She whirled on the pen, reared up, bared fangs and all. I ended up using a wooden spoon to get her into the cup.

When I released her back into her enclosure it was in a cyclone of urticating bristles and dashing spider.

Last night, I had to remove her small water dish because she had gotten substrate in it. When I opened the enclosure lid, she actually rushed towards me and stood in the dish. So, I got a pen and went to prod her out of the dish. Without warning or display she rushed and attacked the pen (with quite a lot of force...I was surprised at her strength). :eek: I ended up waiting until she moved on her own and then slipped the dish out and back in again, quickly.

Has my T lost her mind? Is there any particular reason why she may have become so aggressive since the molt?
You didn't mention her size, which plays a big role in their temperament and disposition. Just consider how sensitive she will be to any and all outside stimulii relative to how she was with her previous exo skeleton. It must be similar to being deaf and then being able to hear again, and being blind and then being able to see again....all very vividly. I'm sure she'll calm down. Leave her alone and let her become accustomed to her "new" self.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, because your T is a smithi, I'm not sure this will help. I have a genic that changed attitudes quite suddenly after a molt. He is a male and after getting big enough to be sexed, wouldn't let me touch him anymore.

RedDrgn

Arachnopeon
You didn't mention her size, which plays a big role in their temperament and disposition. Just consider how sensitive she will be to any and all outside stimulii relative to how she was with her previous exo skeleton. It must be similar to being deaf and then being able to hear again, and being blind and then being able to see again....all very vividly. I'm sure she'll calm down. Leave her alone and let her become accustomed to her "new" self.
Yes, I did forget to mention her size. Apologies. She was 2.5 inches prior to her molt. She's pushing about three inches now since her molt. She molted about two months ago now. Since her attack, other than feeding her and giving her water, I haven't bothered her at all. I hope she calms a bit, but just concerned that she may not.

RedDrgn

Arachnopeon
Well, because your T is a smithi, I'm not sure this will help. I have a genic that changed attitudes quite suddenly after a molt. He is a male and after getting big enough to be sexed, wouldn't let me touch him anymore.
About what size was that? Mine is approximately three inches and I'm just wondering if you might have a viable correlation there.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Give her a lil time and try again, if it doesn't work, then buy another T. :)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Smithi's can be funky. My first t was a sub-adult smithi purchased a little over a year ago. She's never let me handle her at all. I can rearrange stuff in her tank inches from her without objection. As long as i don't touch her. If i try to coax her into a cup for relocation or even just move her away from the water dish it's a crazy symphony of hair kicking. She digs in w/ 6 feet and refuses to be budged and violently kicks dense clouds of hair with the other two. She's just stubborn as heck i guess.

If you want a handler you may end up getting a rosie. I handle most of my t's hardly at all but i have this one rosie that seems to like to come out to play.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my b. smithi always attacks the water when i pour it into her dish. its kind of funny b/c she is so angry, and then she gets a big face full of water for her efforts ;P

it used to be farely docile, now she has a pretty cranky disposition. you might just have to get some more t's if you want one you can play with. even the so called docile ones might not let you hold them.

craig84

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its funny you said they were cranky. My 2" smithi gave me the threat pose a few times the other day, I was shocked:eek: But, My 3" chaco is pretty tame and never gets mad and never flicks hairs. I think the chaco's are the best tarantulas ever:) Maybe getting a pair of cobalts and a trinidad chevron and a brazillian red and white. Something I will never be holding:D

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well my Rosie is not that fond of me getting her up from the tank, so i use a cup instead and place her over the couch and take her up from there, it works like a charm;-) Never any problems. I guess they are territorial;)

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
But, My 3" chaco is pretty tame and never gets mad and never flicks hairs. I think the chaco's are the best tarantulas ever:)
My 4" Chaco is a bit on the skittish side, but she's never kicked hairs at me, and the two times I got a threat posture out of her I wasn't surprised, I'd been cleaning around her and ended up annoying her. For the most part she's been a little sweetie. She doesn't care when I reach in to clean her water dish out, and doesn't bat an eye when I fill it up. Well, she doesn't have eyelids, but still...

I loves her little fuzzy butt so much. :)

craig84

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, a threat posture out of a chaco? Never seen that and never seen a hair kicking one either. Maybe yours is a toughy:rolleyes: We have 21 of them and you can pet them and everything. the smithis on the other hand, all they care to do is flick hairs anytime they see you:mad:

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, she usually just moves away when I touch her. One time I'd gotten between her and her hide, the other time I'd touched her front leg rather than her abdomen.