New escape artist wannabe sling

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
So I just received my first OW sling (1" C. darlingi) that loves to try and escape its enclosure whenever I open the lid. Ive had it for about 3 days so far and its already started burrowing into the substrate and eating well. But no matter how carefully i try to open the lid Im guessing it gets spooked and shoots out of its burrow toward the small area of lid that I pulled up.

Any tips on how I can do usual maintenance without worrying about a possible escape?

As of now I can drop in small superworms through one of the air holes on the side of the deli cup its housed in but I need to add a little water tonight so my plan was to close the drain in my tub and do what I need to in there in case it does get out.

Im guessing it will mellow out after a few more days/weeks until it feels safe in its burrow?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Do you have a syringe or pipette that you can drop water through the holes with?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Give it about a week to settle in. Right now, it has nowhere to scurry - it's scared because it doesn't have its safe "spider hole" to retreat to. You shouldn't need to do any maintenance for a week, so just leave it be. Once it has a decent sized burrow where it can completely fit itself into, then you should be fine to open the enclosure whenever you want. This is one of the easiest baboons to keep. They're not very defensive, and they always retreat to their hole long before putting up a fight.

If you're feeding worms, be sure to crush the head. This will keep them from burrowing or fighting back (yes, they can fight back). But again, leave it alone for about a week. I'm sure it's plump enough to survive without food.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
Good idea Kezy. I was able to use a small pipette from a kit I used to use for feeding my corals in my reef aquarium.
I always crush the head of the worms ever since my GBB let one burrow into the substrate.

Thanks for the tips!

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
Do you have a syringe or pipette that you can drop water through the holes with?
That's what I do on the rare occasion that they don't run down the burrow. I put the water dish under one of the vent holes.
[/URL]l[/IMG]

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
That's what I do on the rare occasion that they don't run down the burrow. I put the water dish under one of the vent holes.
[/URL]l[/IMG]
Yeah I agree. Don't put it near the burrows either. Wouldn't recommend it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I just received my first OW sling (1" C. darlingi) that loves to try and escape its enclosure whenever I open the lid. Ive had it for about 3 days so far and its already started burrowing into the substrate and eating well. But no matter how carefully i try to open the lid Im guessing it gets spooked and shoots out of its burrow toward the small area of lid that I pulled up.

Any tips on how I can do usual maintenance without worrying about a possible escape?

As of now I can drop in small superworms through one of the air holes on the side of the deli cup its housed in but I need to add a little water tonight so my plan was to close the drain in my tub and do what I need to in there in case it does get out.

Im guessing it will mellow out after a few more days/weeks until it feels safe in its burrow?
Drill appropriately sized holes in the container top, get a syringe and blunt tipped needle. You'll never need to open the lid for watering.