new equipment and plastic fumes

darlingi

Arachnosquire
A few weeks ago I’ve bought a pump-sprayer/mister to make watering easier.
I remember washing it a few times before first use, but just yesterday I noticed that there still was a lingering strong plastic smell inside.
I will obviously not use that any longer, but now I’m worried that it may have hurt my Ts.

I’ve been checking on other plastic stuff that I use. The plastic plant I use comes from a reptile/pet-supply company called Lucky Reptile, and it also has a very slight smell to it. I’m probably overthinking it now but I’m just not sure anymore what is normal and what’s potentially dangerous.
The sprayer also came from a pet-company, shouldn’t that stuff be safe? These sprayers all look exactly the same btw, so I wouldn’t be surprised if people in the US get the same ones made in China that we get in Europe.

Maybe most people don’t care or don’t notice it or this isn’t something to worry about, but maybe anybody from Europe has recommendations for good sources to get safe, quality equipment? Especially for fake plants, since companies never seem to state what exact material was used.

Last edited:

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Never had an issue with sprayers. I don't use the dyed fabric fake plants, but plastic ones also fine and never had an issue.

As long as you're not burning them inside the enclosure i don't think there's anything to worry about

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
Maybe most people don’t care or don’t notice it or this isn’t something to worry about, but maybe anybody from Europe has recommendations for good sources to get safe, quality equipment? Especially for fake plants, since companies never seem to state what exact material was used.
Well since you are also from Germany i can tell you a couple of places where you can (hopefully) get a safe one. The one i bought is from trixie and i got it from amazon. I saw it for sale also in both Megazoo and Dehner, probably you could also find it or something similar at Fressnapf.
Hope i helped.

darlingi

Arachnosquire
Well since you are also from Germany i can tell you a couple of places where you can (hopefully) get a safe one. The one i bought is from trixie and i got it from amazon. I saw it for sale also in both Megazoo and Dehner, probably you could also find it or something similar at Fressnapf.
Hope i helped.
The sprayer with the smell that I had was from Trixie actually, so that turned me off from the company, but maybe I should give them a second chance. :D
I bought my plastic plants at Dehner Zoo (and they are probably fine, the smell is just very slight), but I might have to look there again. Thank you!

darlingi

Arachnosquire
I just ordered some Zoo Med plastic plants.
I guess those should definitely be safe? They seem to be a popular choice for fake plants.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just ordered some Zoo Med plastic plants.
I guess those should definitely be safe? They seem to be a popular choice for fake plants.
never had issue with plastics- but one time- just let it air out

darlingi

Arachnosquire
never had issue with plastics- but one time- just let it air out
Thank you, I’ll do that. Do you think drinking water out of the smelly plastic sprayer hurt my Ts? They are doing totally fine but I’m anxious about long term effects. :rolleyes:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you, I’ll do that. Do you think drinking water out of the smelly plastic sprayer hurt my Ts? They are doing totally fine but I’m anxious about long term effects. :rolleyes:
maybe maybe not

Dorifto

He who moists xD
My misting bottle smelled like sh*t at first, now doesn't smell at all. I bought it at Lidl.

Rinse it few times and fill it with hot water. Leave it for some hours, repeat. Eventually the smell will disappear.

darlingi

Arachnosquire
My misting bottle smelled like sh*t at first, now doesn't smell at all. I bought it at Lidl.

Rinse it few times and fill it with hot water. Leave it for some hours, repeat. Eventually the smell will disappear.
I’m positive I’ve done that quite a few times before I used it for the first time (probably not often enough though).
Well, I got rid off it anyway and I’m now anxiously hoping that my Ts will be fine. I guess it’s good news that the water didn’t have any smell to it?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I’m positive I’ve done that quite a few times before I used it for the first time (probably not often enough though).
Well, I got rid off it anyway and I’m now anxiously hoping that my Ts will be fine. I guess it’s good news that the water didn’t have any smell to it?
They will be fine! Don't worry

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
I bought my plastic plants at Dehner Zoo (and they are probably fine, the smell is just very slight), but I might have to look there again. Thank you!
I buy there the plants for bioactive enclosures, in the indoor section there is always this small plants for 2€ or something. Anyway it has a good variety there.