New Enclosure

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Condensation isn't always a sign of excess moisture, but in this case it is. The enclosure is opened so I don't think temperature is the issue, if it was in an enclosed space and had been removed from a warm room to a cold one I would understand your point. In this case it's clearly all the wet sub, just needs to dry off a bit.

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
plastic wrap that can be peeled back, allowing the moisture to escape? I didn't notice it, no, but it doesn't really matter.
Well its being used to hold in humidity, and doesn't allow much airflow. Your saying he shouldn't worry about excess humidity due to a screen lid, but the screen lid is covered, so yes it does matter given the state of his setup. The enclosure is too moist, especially with all the ventilation blocked.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I use the plastic wrap to keep the humidity constant, with the screen tops it is quite difficult to keep it constant, the enclosure is being allowed to acclimate itself before the spider is put into said enclosure, I'm not sure whether to keep the plastic wrap on or should I remove it.
What do you guys think, should I remove the plastic wrap or leave it on, remembering it is for a P. Metallica, sub juvenile, it's maybe 2.5" at the moment, I will be introducing the spider to its enclosure after one more molt.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I use the plastic wrap to keep the humidity constant, with the screen tops it is quite difficult to keep it constant, the enclosure is being allowed to acclimate itself before the spider is put into said enclosure, I'm not sure whether to keep the plastic wrap on or should I remove it.
What do you guys think, should I remove the plastic wrap or leave it on, remembering it is for a P. Metallica, sub juvenile, it's maybe 2.5" at the moment, I will be introducing the spider to its enclosure after one more molt.
Take it off. Itll need the ventilation if its going to be that wet. You're looking at a pretty good chance of mold, buddy.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I'm allowing the substrate do dry, I've taken the plastic wrap off, no condensation, temps are quite good sitting at 24c. I'm now not paying attention to my hygrometer as it is well wrong.
I've decided to move the enclosure to it's final resting place, which is a lot warmer than where it is now, so it will be about 26 - 28c. As I'm sure you know the warmer it is the more humidity the air can hold, so once it's been there for a couple of days I'll take note of the temps etc.