New enclosure

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
I am looking for an enclosure suitable for either a greenbottle blue T or an antilles pinktoe. I currently have just a basic kritter keeper from petsmart. I am looking for something that might be safer for a T and/or allow better viewing. Any suggestions or advice?

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Your answer will vary greatly dependent on the tarantula's size. For instance a sling could be kept in a Really Useful Box of the correct size. When it gets bigger you could move it to a glass aquarium for better viewing. Acrylic is something I am not a real fan of due to price, warping and the way it scratches though I admit it is clearer than a RUB. Amac containers are popular as well. It all depends on your tastes, needs and handiness. Most of what people use takes at least a bit of modification to make it right for the Ts.

Some people add windows to larger plastic storage containers made of acrylic.

My GBB at around 3 inches is in a 5 gallon aquarium as a display specimen. It was rehoused in Jan this year.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am looking for an enclosure suitable for either a greenbottle blue T or an antilles pinktoe. I currently have just a basic kritter keeper from petsmart. I am looking for something that might be safer for a T and/or allow better viewing. Any suggestions or advice?
A GBB is a far easier T to care for than a C. versicolor. C. versicolor don't make the best beginner T in case you have never had one.

You'll need an arboreal setup for a versicolor. Less than 2" a 32 oz deli cup is your best container. I use them all the time. There's nothing better for that size arboreal. Your only other options for viewing are acrylic containers if the T is small.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I am looking for an enclosure suitable for either a greenbottle blue T or an antilles pinktoe. I currently have just a basic kritter keeper from petsmart. I am looking for something that might be safer for a T and/or allow better viewing.
I keep my 2" GBB in a small Exo Terra Breeding Box (8" x 8" x 5.5"). Eventually, it will outgrow this space, but for now, it works well.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (greenbottle blue) is a very hardy species, and if this is your very first tarantula, I would recommend it over Caribena versicolor (Antilles/Martinique pinktoe).

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
A GBB is a far easier T to care for than a C. versicolor. C. versicolor don't make the best beginner T in case you have never had one.

You'll need an arboreal setup for a versicolor. Less than 2" a 32 oz deli cup is your best container. I use them all the time. There's nothing better for that size arboreal. Your only other options for viewing are acrylic containers if the T is small.
Out of curiosity, why don't they make the best beginner Ts?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, why don't they make the best beginner Ts?
1. Most people don't do the proper research BEFORE purchase, they buy these pretty poofy looking Ts because they are cute.

2. They have a much lower tolerance of husbandry errors/neglect than probably any other commonly kept genus out there.

People often say "they aren't hard to keep, once you have the correct conditions" as a justification for Avics being a great first T. Well that's a stupid statement IMO because that applies to all animals generally.

3. People read care sheets, care sheets kill Ts esp Avics.

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
1. Most people don't do the proper research BEFORE purchase, they buy these pretty poofy looking Ts because they are cute.

2. They have a much lower tolerance of husbandry errors/neglect than probably any other commonly kept genus out there

3. People read care sheets, care sheets kill Ts esp Avics.
Do you know where I could find the proper research? I've been reading about both species for weeks and I would love more sources to learn from. The last thing I want to do is purposefully hurt a T.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you know where I could find the proper research?
Here... Mine the forum for all it's worth. About 99% of the questions a new owner asks have been answered a decade ago. Use google to search this forum, as it's indexed by google. Then AFTER reading, come back and ask specific questions.

If one asks "how many crickets should I feed it"...it only shows one hasn't done the proper research.

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
Here... Mine the forum for all it's worth. About 99% of the questions a new owner asks have been answered a decade ago. Use google to search this forum, as it's indexed by google. Then AFTER reading, come back and ask specific questions.

If one asks "how many crickets should I feed it"...it only shows one hasn't done the proper research.
I'm reading through your post right now, it is very helpful, thank you for the advice I appreciate it!