New enclosure for pamphobeteus sp machala

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I would like some suggestions on this enclosure. I have eco earth sub with a little bit of sphagnum moss, shallow water dish and a hide. What do you guys think? Should I ditch the moss? I'm open to any suggestions

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's ok... being you I would use a less "cumbersome" water dish (I use the glass ones) but just me. I also don't use moss for juve/adult Theraphosidae. Keep part of the substrate on moist side like BobBarley said.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
It's ok... being you I would use a less "cumbersome" water dish (I use the glass ones) but just me. I also don't use moss for juve/adult Theraphosidae. Keep part of the substrate on moist side like BobBarley said.
Yeah I have never used moss before. I'm pretty good about keeping the sub a little damp without it so I might toss it. I also read crix will take shelter in it and then die? Don't like the sound of that

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I also read crix will take shelter in it and then die? Don't like the sound of that
Where'd you hear that? A cricket could take shelter in the moss, and hide from the t, but why would it die? And with an always-hungry genus like Pamphobeteus, many times the cricket won't get the chance to hide. :wideyed:

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Where'd you hear that? A cricket could take shelter in the moss, and hide from the t, but why would it die? And with an always-hungry genus like Pamphobeteus, many times the cricket won't get the chance to hide. :wideyed:
I actually read it on AB I searched sphagnum moss and someone commented on it saying they had that issue. I've found a dead cricket under a water dish in one of my larger enclosures so when I read that I pictured that x20 lol

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I have no idea how to post a link on my phone but here's an image

Attachments

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
It's probably outdated, that was posted a whole 11 years ago. If anyone has something to say otherwise, I'd be glad to hear it. :)
I'll take your word for it. Anyway, it most likely wouldn't be an issue since it is a very aggressive hunter like you mentioned. If it causes any issues I'll simply remove the moss

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Hey, I have another question. This is my first sterilite DIY enclosure when I bought the box it had a really strong "plastic" smell and even after giving it a good rinse with water and putting everything in it all I can smell is that weird smell is this possibly due to like a chemical?